Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Image Backup and Resotre

• Please log in to reply

woodford

woodford

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm having a curious problem - maybe someone here knows the answer; I purchase a new Dell - it was DOA - they came to fix and I started adding my programs - I did a system image (backup) of my work onto an external iomega 1t Drive. It failed again - so I just did a system exchange and my new maching arrived.

After setting up the new machine, I attempted to do a restoration from my system image on my external drive. It gos through the process, see it, it wants to create a recovery disc and fails immediately after. What happens is (I already have a repair disc) whether I elect to create one or not, the "next" button is greyed out - if I cancel, of course it stops the restoration, if I choose to create a repair disc and select that button (making sure proper media is in the DVD drive) it simply fails the restoration and reboots the computer. I'd love to restore the system image - the new machine is an excact duplicate of the machine I did the system image from. Any ideas or solutions?

Advertisements

woodford

woodford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've noticed that it really wants me to create a disc for a system recovery - whenever I try - it tells me that it fails. What can I do to get the system image I created restored? Nothing works so far and I fear I will have to load everything manually again. Please help :)

woodford

woodford

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just an update FYI in case others have had this issue; I never did get a response here, but I did find a solution. No matter the times I attempted to follow the instructions from Windows 7 to restore from an image, I would get a failure notice; I googled error code 0x4001100200001012 - which would come up - and found a forum where others had this problem. It seem using Windows 7 would not do a restore, but using the Dell Reinstalltion/Repair disc, did. Doing the same thing but instead of creating my own recovery disc but using the Dell disc - it worked perfectly and I'm in good shape now. Good luck to you all too :)