Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet Access!?!

• Please log in to reply

Aukake

Aukake

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Yesterday i got home and all of a sudden my computer has no internet access. Its on a wireless connection. Airlink Wireless N card connected to a Dlink N Router. Never had a problem with it before, but when i got home computer said Limited or No Internet Access when i hovered over the connection. I would assume it was cause i was downloading some stuff on torrents. But i only downloaded some small and dumb anyways. And usually if if you get in trouble with downloading something on torrents on the COX Internet. They turn your whole internet off. ,but the computer directly connected to the router works and my iphone can connect to the router, but my other computer cant get full internet access anymore. Please help. Really need this computer online for work!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First off torrents are a bad ideal. They are usually infected with virus's and other malware which can in some cases cause the issue you are having.
Have you tried connecting directly to Internet with the system in questions?
Since this could possibly be a infection and by your own statement you were downloading torrents then the first step is to have the system checked out.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
I goto Torrentz.com and use that site for my downloading. And always download stuff from Verified sources. have been for almost 7 years now. Just download tv shows i missed and stuff, never had a problem before, but i will do as said.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Although using P2P programs like Torrentz.com are not illegal, the files downloaded could contain potential infections. By continuing to use these programs will put you at a higher risk for infection. If you continue to use these programs GTG may not be able to provide assistance in the future.

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
I did all those. I Used Malware Bytes, Kaspersky, and Trojan Remover to detect anything also. Nothing. I don't think it is a virus at all. When i disconnect my connection then hit connect again. It takes awhile. It even says "Connecting to router is taking longer than usual" then it says connection to router was unsuccessful" and i get a Limited/No Internet access on my wireless status.

SeriesofTubes

SeriesofTubes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Power cycle your router

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Did that. When i hit connect to the router. I hit connect and it gets stuck at "Identifying" And doesn't go past that and i don't get internet access.

This computer is connected to the router and works just fine.
My iPhone can connect to the router just fine.

But my computer gets stuck at Identifying.

Edited by Aukake, 11 February 2010 - 12:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nic card issue then. Is your network adapter built onboard or is it a addon card?

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
I tried so many things and after awhile i got fed up. computer was only a month old so i just reformatted and it works just fine now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm glad you got it figured out but I'm sorry you had to format to get it to work.
This tells me it was a OS problem then and reinstalling fixt the hiccup.
Glad to see you are back up and running now. Thanks for allowing me to assist and for your patience through all of this.

Aukake

Aukake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Thanks fr helping. You are awesome man. Always there to help me :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and I am on your other topic with the sound now. I hope the resolution is better then this one was :) :)