Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't start/Blue screen

• Please log in to reply

lately9

lately9

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Apparently I'm not the only one having this problem. >=[ My computer was fine until I did Microsoft updates. Then it started doing the chkdsk thing over and over again. Finally, after running that, it takes me to the blue screen. I got the stop codes 0x0000007E (0xF76CB15B, 0xC0000005, 0xF7C53BA4, 0xF7C538A0) I think that Windows will open in safe mode, but every option I select in the F8 menu restarts the whole chkdsk/blue screen thing again. I have no idea what to do. Please help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the latest updates you are talking about? If so this is one way to fix it below.

Follow these steps:

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console

Once you are in the Repair Screen..

2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB978262 $\spuninst

3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. Type this command: systemroot

5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 for each of the following updates provided by FindMeFollowMe:

* KB978262
* KB971468
* KB978037
* KB975713
* KB978251
* KB978706
* KB977165
* KB975560
* KB977914

6. When complete, type this command: exit

Your computer should restart and everything should be back to normal.

lately9

lately9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Is this the disk I use: Reistallation CD for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition? I'm sorry, I'm not that computer savvy.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That disk will not work. You will have to get the Recovery Console standalone then and do the instructions.

Download Windows Recovery Console HERE
Download, and install free Imgburn
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow the steps from from the above post.

lately9

lately9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Luckily I was able to open windows with safe mode and delete the problem update! Thanks for helping.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything working correctly now?
Make sure you don't let that update through again for a week till Microsoft gets it straightened out.
Can you let us know what update that caused the issue? This may help someone else in the near future with the same problem.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

lately9

lately9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes. Everything is working fine. It was Security Update for Windows XP KB977165. Although this update only effected one of my computers, I chose to have them notify me about updates, but I choose which ones to download. Also, I hid the problem-causing update so that I wouldn't accidentally download it again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thats a good way to do it for awhile. I'm sorry you got hit with this but the fix has been proven to work so that is why I suggested it for you. It's great it did what it was suppose to do. Congratulations for a successful resolution. Thank you for allowing me to assist you and for your patience with this.
Please look around and enjoy the other forums here on GeeksToGo.