Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Repair stuck?

• Please log in to reply

magaggie

magaggie

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi,

I was immediately being logged out of windows XP as soon as I logged in, and after reading a few similar posts here, it looked like the best solution would be to repair XP, since I couldn't actually get in there to try anything else. I followed the excellent instrutions I found here and let the whole thing run. After it rebooted, it brought me to the black screen with the microsoft XP logo and says "please wait" and an hourglass. I've been stuck here for about 45 minutes. Is this to be expected? The last part of the processt took about 40 minutes, but I was expecting that, and it gave me that lovely countdown. Should I keep waiting, or did something go wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
magaggie,

That definitely doesn't sound normal. Have you tried doing the repair again? Lets see if it does the same thing a second time. Also, you may want to consider doing a data backup and actually do a "reformat" and work from the ground up instead of just repairing the windows files. Sometimes Windows XP doesn't install correctly due to failing hardware, i would suggest running a diagnostics on the memory and hard drive to make sure they are in good shape. Let me know if you need help with any of the areas I pointed out.

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

magaggie,

That definitely doesn't sound normal. Have you tried doing the repair again? Lets see if it does the same thing a second time. Also, you may want to consider doing a data backup and actually do a "reformat" and work from the ground up instead of just repairing the windows files. Sometimes Windows XP doesn't install correctly due to failing hardware, i would suggest running a diagnostics on the memory and hard drive to make sure they are in good shape. Let me know if you need help with any of the areas I pointed out.

I haven't tried anything else yet. I didn't want to interrupt it if it was still in process, so I'm still getting that hourglass and the "please wait" message. I wouldn't have minded just doing a fresh install if I could have backed up my files, but I couln't even get in there to do that, so I couldn't do any diagnostics either. Like I said, I'd turn on the computer, try to log in, and it would immediately log me out. I see from doing a search here that this has happened to other people, and the repair was recommended to them.

Thanks for your help.