Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAPTOP SHOWS WHITE- BLANK SCREEN

• Please log in to reply

cpo312

cpo312

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Recently my HP pavillion zv6000 will not load up properly. When I press the power button, it will load past the HP Invent logo and then just shows a white-blank screen and nothing else. I connected it to an external monitor and it still shows the white-blank screen on the external monitor. I did an HDD test in the BIOS and the hard disk passed the test. I un-seated the ram and re-seat it but still I get white-blank screen. I also unplugged the LCD screen video cable and re-plugged it back in but I still get the white blank screen.

Safe mode cannot load properly. When I select safe mode it starts to load safe mode but stops at the begining of the white loading bars at the bottom of the screen. Please help out some one

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Access the HP Recovery Manager by repeatedly tapping F11 before Windows loads.
Follow the prompts to recover Windows.

However, this type of recovery will only work if the recovery partition on the hard drive is still intact.
If it's been formatted to use the space for something else, you will need to use the Recovery CD if you made one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I connected it to an external monitor and it still shows the white-blank screen on the external monitor

This may be a sign of faulty video on the laptop.
It could also be a problem with the OS as phillip is suggesting.
How old is the system and is there any warranty on it right now?

cpo312

cpo312

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The system(HP Pavillion zv6000) is about 3 years old and there is no warranty on it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure what options HP's recovery partition may give you.
There are two types of recovery
Destructive..formats hard drive and returns everything to factory state.
Non Destructive is like a repair installation and is suppose to keep all your data intact.
Now if there is data you need to save before hand we can try a Linux live CD to get it. This will also confirm if the video is indeed bad. Linux normally will not use proprietary model number drivers for video so using a chipset will load only a basic driver. If this does not allow the system to boot correctly it is a sure sign the video is bad.
Let us knowhow you would like to proceed after trying Phillips suggestion and what options you have in recovery.