Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New (first one) build... does nothing when i press the power button

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

2 more quick beeps

Is this board new? This is common for a dead CMOS battery... Press F1 to enter setup (aka the BIOS) and set the time and date. If you ever see this error again...

CMOS date/time not set

then you need a new CMOS battery which is located on your motherboard... it looks like this HERE and is very easy to replace.

Since it appears you will get to the BIOS, start plugging one thing in at a time and powering on each time, if you haven't done this already, to find the culprit of your original problem. If you don't find a problem, don't worry about it.

Next, set the boot priority in the BIOS to CD ROM first and Hard Drive second, and insert your Windows Disc. Press F10 to save and exit the BIOS, your computer will reboot and start the install of Windows.

THIS RECENT POST BY ME may be some help to you, read all of it.

Advertisements

fix23

fix23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yeah, its not saving the time..

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You need to replace that battery then. They only cost $2-$4 at most places. Walmart may have them or you can check Batteries Plus. They are fairly common... my parents garage door opener uses the same battery. Usually CR2032.

fix23

fix23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok thanks. can i still put everything together and get it up without that battery?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yes you can, but if you change the AHCI mode to SATA from IDE, then your computer may not boot because without the battery, the BIOS loads it's defaults each time, so you would have to enter the BIOS, change to SATA mode everytime until you replace the battery. ...which you kinda will have to do anyways since you are getting that CMOS error every time.

Or, you can just install with IDE mode and from what I've heard/read, there really isn't much difference in the two modes as what some would make out to be. I installed 7 with IDE mode because I dual boot with Windows XP and XP doesn't have the drivers for SATA mode, so I have to use IDE mode. ... I can't tell a difference, the system is very speedy.

This is all assuming you are using a SATA hard drive. If using an IDE drive, then install IDE mode.

fix23

fix23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yes im using a sata hd and dvd drive.

fix23

fix23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Update: Apparently the battery is not dead. it saved the date on the second try.

so now ive got everything plugged in.. do i need to do anything on the bios or just boot the cd?

thanks.

Edited by fix23, 14 February 2010 - 11:58 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

THIS RECENT POST BY ME may be some help to you, read all of it.

This about covers it.