Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen 0x0000007E

• Please log in to reply

garlmitch

garlmitch

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8400 pc and I received the blue screen of death error message. Last line reads 0x0000007E (0xC000001D,0x80537008,0xF7A0D3B8,0xF7A0D0B4).
There are no devices or drives listed just the normal beginning message. I cannot boot in safe mode or regular mode at all, I can only get to the BIOS. I have also tried my XP disc for a repair and also for a reinstall and both state no hard drive available. Is there any way to fix this and still recover my files on the computer? I have not installed anything new on the computer at all. I left the computer on when I went to bed and woke up to this screen. The only thing it did strange the day before is redirect me a few times when I tried to go to some sites from yahoo. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have average knowlege of computers I am by far not an expert. :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like your hard drive is gone.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

garlmitch

garlmitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok I have a maxtor drive so dowloaded the maxtor tool, then got the imgburn put it on a cd, it booted up fine i answered the questions then it went to
scanning for drives (up to 1 minute)...

It has been about 15 minutes and still nothing.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I surely don't remember all of those tools settings, so....
Are there any different scan options, or just one?
It looks like the tool can't find the drive at all.

garlmitch

garlmitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No just one, it finally said general error so I re ran it and general error again, so it can't find it which means it is probably toast. I have no idea what kind of hard drive to put in or even where to get one at, let alopne figure out how to install it. So I guess this means even if I can figure out everything with the new hard drive I have lost all of my files on the computer. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Installing new hard drive is really not that complicated.

Before you go there, you can try one more thing...
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer: http://www.smartestc...showtopic=38317

garlmitch

garlmitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok I am going to try that and then hit the sack, work in 5 1/2 hours. Thank you so much for all of your help you have been great. I'll tackle the whole hard drive thing after work tomorrow I guess. Thnks again I really do appreciate it.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)
Keep me posted.

garlmitch

garlmitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok ubuntu is installed on the computer now and it rebooted fine and went into ubuntu. My problem now is I have no clue where to go to recover my files and pictures.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Apparently, you didn't follow manual.
You're not supposed to install Ubuntu, but:

Now that you have the boot cd (which you should keep in a safe place, as it’s very useful), just stick it in the drive of the computer and boot from it. You should see an option to “Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer”.

Advertisements

garlmitch

garlmitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I knew I would screw something up. Ok I am booting from it now.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You should have printed that manual out.

garlmitch

garlmitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It never gave me any manual. I burned it to the disk and nothing happened so I had no clue what to do. Well I think I lost everything because it wont even give me the option to try without making changes to the computer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer: http://www.smartestc...showtopic=38317

garlmitch

garlmitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
What can I say I'm a [bleep]. I was in hurry , and like a moron thought I knew what I was doing, and messed up my chances of geting my files.