Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to delete Antivirus System Pro, can't run GMER [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Hi chally,

Everything looks clean to me. I'll give you some instructions now to get rid of all the tools and some advice to reduce the chance of future infection.

STEP 1 - Clear Restore Points

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top.
STEP 2 - Uninstall ComboFix
  • Click on Start > Run
  • Type Combofix /uninstall in the run box and click Ok. Note the space between the x and the /uninstall, it needs to be there.
STEP 3 - Remove Tools

Run OTL
  • Click Clean Up in the upper right corner.
  • This will remove most if not all the tools we used while we were fixing your computer. Feel free to delete any others it leaves behind.
Now that you have a clean system, I would like to share with you some advice to help reduce the risk of future infection.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I recommend that you install both of the following free programs if you haven''t already, as they can greatly increase the security of your system. It is not essential that you have these programs installed, but they do a very good job at preventing infection if your system is scanned regularly.+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A good firewall is also useful for keeping a system infection free. You should only have ONE firewall installed on your computer - having more than one will not increase the security of your system. Here is a small list of some free firewallsAn antivirus program is also a program that should be installed on all computers. These will help reduce the risk that your computer gets infected by viruses or trojans in the future. Keep in mind that you only need ONE antivirus program installed on your computer. If you have more than one installed, they can often conflict and leave your system unprotected.Having up to date Antivirus and Firewall software is vital to keeping a healthy, infection free system

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To find out more information on how your system got infected, or how to protect yourself on the internet in the future, this article by Tony Klein provides some great information.

Good luck and safe surfing!

-mpascal

Advertisements

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
1. I've been under the impression that my Norton 360 gives me both antivirus protection ad a firewall. Is that not true?
2. Is the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware you recommend the same as we have been using? Is it the "full" version? I got the impression along the way that there is a difference?
3. Which tools are we going to remove in Step 3 of your instrucitions?
4. Where/how can I learn to understand what I read in the various log files the tools create?

This experience has taught me a lot already. I appreciate all you've done.
Thanks, chally.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Hi chally,

I've been under the impression that my Norton 360 gives me both antivirus protection ad a firewall. Is that not true?

Yep, the Norton 360 gives you anti virus and firewall so you should be good.

Is the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware you recommend the same as we have been using? Is it the "full" version? I got the impression along the way that there is a difference?

You have the right one, the full one has a few more features but you have to pay for it. The free one does enough on it's own.

Which tools are we going to remove in Step 3 of your instrucitions?

Most of the tools we used along the way that you won't need anymore, such as OTL and GMER. It will not remove MalwareBytes.

Where/how can I learn to understand what I read in the various log files the tools create?

Here at GTG we have a "school" so to speak where you can learn to analyse logs and eventually become a helper on the forum. More information is here.

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
This is a list of files found by doing searches for each of the following: combo, otl, avp, and kaspersky. I am assuming I can delete them.

File/Folder Search for "combo" found
Combo-Fix File Folder Modified: 2/21/2010 10:44 PM, Created: 2/21/2010 10:26 PM On C: Drive
Combo-Fix Shortcut Modified: 3/6/2010 9:10 AM, Created: 3/6/2010 9:06 AM On C: Drive
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt Shorcut Shorcut Modified: 2/23/2010 6:53 PM, Created: 2/22/2010 11:05 AM On C: Drive
Combo-Fix.txt Shortcut Modified: 2/23/2010 6:50 PM, Created: 2/21/2010 10:54 AM On C: Drive

File/Folder Search for "otl" found:
OTL.exe Application Modified: 2/11/2010 8:26 PM Created: 1/4/2010 6:09 AM On C: Drive
OTL.txt Shortcut Modified: 3/3/2010 1:19 AM, Created: 3/2/2010 8:24 AM On C: Drive

File/Folder Search for "avp" found:
AVPGATEK.TXT Text Document Modified: 2/23/2010 Created: 8/9/2004 4:00PM On C: Drive
AVPGATEK.HTM Text HTHL Document Modified: 8/9/2004 Created: 8/9/2004 4:00PM On C: Drive and D: Drive
AVPGATEK.TXT Shortcut Modified: 3/7/2010 12:09 AM, Created: 3/6/2010 8:28 AM On C: Drive

File/Folder Search for "kaspersky" found:
[email protected][1].txt Shortcut Modified: 2/23/2010 2:39 AM, Created: 2/23/2010 2:39 AM On C: Drive
usa.kaspersky-labs.com File Folder Modified: 2/22/2010 7:31 PM, Created: 2/22/2010 7:30 PM On C: Drive
#usa.kaspersky-labs.com File Folder Modified: 2/22/2010 7:30 PM, Created: 2/22/2010 7:30 PM On C: Drive
kaspersky File Modified: 4/1/2009 11:38 AM in com
kasperky File Folder (no dates) in com

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Yep, it's looks like those can all be removed.

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I was able to delete all the leftover files/folder except kaspersky type File and kaspersky type File Folder, both in folder com.

Are we all done? If so, thanks again M[y]PAscaL.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Yep I think you should be good, glad I could help you out. :)

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.