Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! Delted system32/smss.exe NOW logs me off

• Please log in to reply

FerTom

FerTom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Saffer,

I have no internet on firefox either & I also tried to see if I could play an internet game of backgammon and I have no connection... But I have connection on my other computer that is plugged into the same modem.

Advertisements

FerTom

FerTom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Saffer,

I have no internet on firefox either & I also tried to see if I could play an internet game of backgammon and I have no connection... But I have connection on my other computer that is plugged into the same modem.

FerTom

FerTom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Saffer,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are repeating messages now. Not sure what is going on

FerTom

FerTom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I apologize for the annoying repeating messages... I was on my mobile phone and I guess it kept sending the post over and over... so sorry!

I have had a busy schedule and have not been consistent with posting, however, I have dedicated the entire day today and possibly tomorrow too... I need to get this finished.

Please see attachment.

Thank you again for your help!

Attached Thumbnails

• screen_shot_devmgmt.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I still think you ened to run the SFC /scannow with the OS disk inserted in the cdrom drive. There is missing XP files just from the original post you gave.
Also go to Start then to Run
Type in the following and click Enter after each one.
ipcomfig /releaseall
ipconfig /renewall
exit
Try internet again.
If still no joy you may ahve a failed network adapter

FerTom

FerTom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
After following your instruction, I still have no joy... :)

Is there a way to tell if it I have a failed network adapter, and a fix?

Thanks again!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If adapter is bad then replacement is the only way.
If adapter is built onboard then a new add on card is the option. Is this a laptop or desktop?
Try this
Limited or No Connectivity go here and try the suggestion at the beginning to see if it helps. If not post back and we can continue on.

FerTom

FerTom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a desktop.

I did go to the thread and did tried the suggestion... no internet :)

I did find two CD's, maybe you can tell me if they will help me: "Intel PRO Network Connections - Installation for Wired and Wireless Adapters Software Release 6.1" and also "Gateway Drivers SWR APC BT SYS Version 20.4".

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

FerTom

FerTom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I tried to troubleshoot my situation and still no internet.

I had internet, until I had the virus issue and then it went dead. Is it possible something got deleted?

Advertisements

FerTom

FerTom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Shaffer,

I'm on the net!! :) I am a determined little girl! This is what I did:

I went to the Gateway website (my computer manufacturer) and then to the support section. I typed in my serial number, clicked on driver downloads and under the heading of "My Network Downloads" I chose "7512978.exe -Desktop and Profile 4 Integrated Intel® Pro/100 VE Network driver version 6.2" downloaded it and put it on my sd card and unziped it on my broken pc... I replaced the existing files with the new download files.... and the joy is back! :)

I want to thank you for all your help... you did so much to help me, including getting my computer to stop logging me off. I would love to send a donation for all your help!! Please allow me to send you a PayPal payment!!!!! I really want to do this, so please do not deny me the blessing of blessing you for your tech support!

Many thanks to you!! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner about the driver.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

I myself do not have a paypal account and don't believe in accepting donations for what I do when it is offered for free.

Edited by rshaffer61, 22 February 2010 - 07:57 PM.