Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thumbnails not displaying previews; only icons

• Please log in to reply

Brian D.

Brian D.

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

About one year ago, I purchased an Everio HDD Camcorder. It works fine, then I ran out of memory. So, I had to move the files from the camcorder to the computer....blah blah blah, that's another story.

ANYWAY

now when I go to look at the files that are now stored under My Videos, I only see the MPEG or AVI icon, I don't see a preview of the video as I did before.

This is kind of a weird situation because I could preview the files before, but now I can't. Maybe yet another Windows update? Idk but this is really nagging me.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
I recently had a malware situation and came here wandering. the problem was fixed within 2 days, maybe this situation will be the same =)

again, any help or suggestions would be great.

thanks,
-brian =)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
click on the folder that has the files in it...then click on view...put a tick beside thumbnails...

Brian D.

Brian D.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
sorry but I have already selected the "thhumbnails" radio button.... some of the thumbnails display and some don't... i think it goes deeper than that like the registry or something....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get a screenshot and post it

Brian D.

Brian D.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
i got a screenshot using printscreen and for some reason the website will not upload the file??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
redo it and make sure you save it as a .jpeg...otherwise it will be to big to upload

Brian D.

Brian D.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
okay, re-did and saved as JPEG; had to really re-size it still...but anyways,
here ya go

Attached Thumbnails

• mpeg_problem.jpeg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this... right click on the file MPEG thumbnail...
select choose default program... don't select open with quicktime player as this will only immediately open the file and won't change the preview thumbnail
make sure you use choose default program option... on the next screen select Quicktime player.
the thumbnail previews should now appear.
Now repeat the procedure to change back to windows media player as the default,

Edited by happyrock, 23 February 2010 - 09:04 AM.

Brian D.

Brian D.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
i dont understand why...but i have XP SP3 and there's no "choose default program" button on the menu....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
right click on the icon...select open with...on the window that opens select windows media player

Edited by happyrock, 24 February 2010 - 08:59 AM.

Brian D.

Brian D.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
thank you,
you're a very helpful person.

once i select open with, should this fix it? or what should i do next?

and also thank you for helping me with the notepad problem....
for some reason it won't let me reply in the "waiting room" topic... it won't let me. So do you mind if we discuss in the original post that is under the malware section? also, typing "notepad.exe" in the run bar doesn't work. It says that notepad isn't a valid win32 application.

thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

once i select open with, should this fix it? or what should i do next?

look at the last screenshot...lower left...put a tick in the box that says always use the selected program to open this kind of file

it won't let me reply in the "waiting room" topic

thats for staff only...
and because you posted the notepad issue in the malware forum...its only the malware guys can post in the malware removal forums so wait on them to give you a all clean and if you still have the problem after they are done with you...then start a new topic in the xp forum

Brian D.

Brian D.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ok i did what you said... and it did nothing to the icons...

and i have already posted in the XP forum
and this is what happened
http://www.geekstogo...pp-t269402.html

so what should i do?

i've already done an all clean... at least by the guide... i didnt run OTL or ComboFix but it didnt work...

Edited by Brian D., 24 February 2010 - 08:37 PM.