Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

crashed 6-mon old hard drive - firmware ver?

• Please log in to reply

givepraise

givepraise

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Folks,

Have a relatively new (7month old) west dig 500GB pata hard drive that is dead - no sound, nothing... Have a backup from Oct (I know, I know...) - but if possible I *really* need just 4 files off of that drive. Have tried the freezer trick - no luck, have had several people look at it - no luck, would like to try 1 more thing before totally giving up - swapping circuit board from another drive of the same type. Here's the issue though - cannot figure out what code on drive is the firmware version, and would like to try (if at all possible) and buy a replacement drive that has the same firmware. Called the manufacturer, they were not able to help me right off. Will try calling again once I have drive back from the last person that looked at it for me. Just wondering if anyone here knows which of the 8 to 10 numbers preceeded by letters on the label on that drive indicate the firmware?

Thanks,

Verna

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the drive is totally mechanically dead changing the PCB board isn't going to revive it. Also please don't physically dismantle the drive as that'll write all hopes of data recovery.

givepraise

givepraise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If the drive is totally mechanically dead changing the PCB board isn't going to revive it. Also please don't physically dismantle the drive as that'll write all hopes of data recovery.

Thanks much for the reply and the info. How do I know if it is "totally mechanically dead?" Also does changing the PCB board qualify as a total dismantle? Honestly I do not think I can afford the $1200 that it will cost for data recovery services, so this was really going to be my last shot before just trying to rebuild...

Thanks much,

Verna

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A drive is classified as mechanically dead when it doesn't power up, spin or do anything despite being powered in the appropriate fashion. Normally you hear them spin up or you can feel vibrations when the drive is in use. If it's totally dead, as I say, changing the PCB is a fruitless exercise. They usually outlast the drive.

Please see the bit on this page marked "Warning":
http://www.harddrive...pcb-repair.html

givepraise

givepraise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks much for the education!

V