Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Startup problem

• Please log in to reply

Vae62

Vae62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well an interesting development that does not make any sense to me. I ran the check disk utility, it fixed 2 errors and was on step 4 of 5(the verification step) and froze at 59%. I restarted the computer, and now it hangs at the screen that shows what drivers are being loaded when I try to load in safe mode. It does not freeze like it did before, the light is on as if it is trying to load something but it does not go anywhere. Where it gets interesting is I tried to load normal mode. It works just fine and does not freeze. I can access the internet along with all my files and folders. But, my antivirus does not work, at all. I try to open it and it does not even appear in the task manager.

So somehow, I can now access normal mode, but cannot access safe mode, and the antivirus does not work. But it does not freeze either.

Advertisements

Vae62

Vae62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It just froze when I tried to download something.

My computer is insane, I can get into safe mode now, going to try what you just suggested.

Edited by Vae62, 13 February 2010 - 12:42 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Vae62

Vae62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I tried your suggestion of disabling startup/service programs and it freezes at the same spot that it did before. I used a recovery disc to scan for malware already, and I cannot follow the steps of the cleaning guide as I am still unable to download anything to my other computer, it still freezes.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You have to use another working computer to download necessary files and transfer them to bad computer, using USB stick.

Vae62

Vae62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, I have been logged into my computer for about 45 minutes now, playing music and such. Is this normal after running the malware programs even though it said it did not find anything?

Vae62

Vae62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
In safe mode, I deleted both divx and norton antivirus and since I have done that, my computer has been 100% just fine. It starts up fine and I have been able to reinstall both programs and both run okay. My other programs are also running smoothly, so...I think it is fixed. I hope.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I assume, you have some other security program running to replace Norton?
Also, to completely remove Norton, make sure, you use Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.syma...005033108162039

Vae62

Vae62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah I did a complete removal of the program along with DivX, then did a reinstall of both programs in normal mode. It worked fine and after 2 hours and numerous restarts, it still works fine. Best progress yet. I'm not sure yet if it is "cured" so to speak, but it is essentially working as it did prior to the power surge.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Just keep me posted :)

Advertisements