Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Starts Slow/Runs Slow/Gives Error Msg and Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Windows XP Home Edition(version 2002) w/SP3.
Dell Dimension 4600 w/Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz 512 MB RAM1.

1. The computer takes 20-30 minutes for any programs (office, ie8, firefox) to be functional on start-up - the hard drive "busy" light is on the entire time.

2. In the last week I have had several BSOD's with the following info:

Page_Fault_in_ Nonpaged_area

Stop: 0x00000050 BCP1:0x91CA5600 BCP2:0x00000001 BCP3: 0x0000000C BCP4: 0x00000000

3. Just today I had a message that said: "Save all unsaved work system is shutting down in 60 seconds" (words to that effect) NT Authority\System .....

I have Symantec anti-virus running, S&D , Ad Aware and Spyware blaster running - and have done several Malware Bytes scans. NONE detect any malware etc...

Edited by Sharksk8, 15 February 2010 - 01:31 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Sharksk8 ... :) ..:)

first edit your 1st post and delete the HJT log ...they can only go in the malware forum...
the error your getting is usually associated with a video card driver issue...
try starting in safe mode...

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks HR, TOdays BSOD error is
Stop: 0x00000050 BCP1: xD5380000 BCP2:0x00000001 BCP3: 0x0000000C
BCP4: 0x00000000

I tried the Dell driver reset tool - returned "No errors detected"

Edited by Sharksk8, 15 February 2010 - 01:50 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you boot into safe mode...you do this by tapping F8 about once per second as soon as you power up the system...then use the arrow keys to select safe mode...then press enter

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes I can start in "safe mode'

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try booting into safe mode with networking...

play around for awhile like you normally would...
does it crash...pay attention to how long it goes without crashing and what programs you have just launched just prior to the crash...

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I messed around for about 3 hours last night in safe mode - networking enabled - surfed the web/emails, MS office/word editting with no problems.

This AM, started up in normal went to My computer/programs - started deleting old unused stuff and within 3 minutes it was BSOD

I know the stop code refers to the video card. Can the BCP1-4 codes be interpreted in any way? The BCP1 and BCP3 from the last two events are are variations of one another event to event while 2 and 4 have been 0's.

todays codes:

Stop 0x00000050 BCP1: 0xDE880000 BCP2: 0x00000000 BCP3: 0x805dc802 BCP4:0x0000000

In safe mode it seems like the cooling fan is running at high speed all the time - in normal mode it runs high when there are alot of apps running or when there are single apps that use up memory are running ( virus scan in progress...)

Edited by Sharksk8, 16 February 2010 - 01:06 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
download and install WhoCrashed from [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe"%20target="_blank">http://www.resplende...edSetup.exe</a>"]here[/url]..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The crash dated Feb 28, 2010 is acutally the first crash ad occcured on 2/7 or there abouts - I found the date on the date was wrong as a result of the crash and corrected it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 2/28/2010 7:14:33 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x18, 0x2, 0x0, 0x804F5B73)
Error: Unknown
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022810-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 2/16/2010 6:30:52 PM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xDE880000, 0x0, 0x805DC802, 0x0)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021610-01.dmp
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 2/15/2010 7:10:54 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: rdbss.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xD5380000, 0x0, 0x805E3AFE, 0x0)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021510-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rdbss.sys
description: Redirected Drive Buffering SubSystem Driver

On Thu 2/11/2010 3:13:56 AM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xC9FC0000, 0x0, 0x805DC802, 0x0)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021010-01.dmp

On Tue 2/9/2010 7:16:41 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0x91CA5600, 0x1, 0xC, 0x0)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020910-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 45.23
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 45.23

On Mon 2/8/2010 4:03:24 AM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8057760C, 0xED36E88C, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020710-01.dmp

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Crashed 3 more times all three while tryig to start-up form Standby mode. Here are the Dump reports:

On Wed 2/17/2010 5:41:10 PM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x805515A1, 0xEDAB0974, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021710-01.dmp

On Tue 2/16/2010 11:02:29 PM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xD6680000, 0x0, 0x805DC802, 0x0)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021610-02.dmp

On Tue 2/16/2010 6:30:52 PM your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xDE880000, 0x0, 0x805DC802, 0x0)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021610-01.dmp

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try reinstalling NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 45.23

go here and download Everest Home Edition 1.51...launch it and click on the + beside display...get a screenshot for us

Edited by happyrock, 18 February 2010 - 08:22 AM.

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I tried to reinstall the driver with no success - the control panel-display .... update returned that the driver was "up to date."

I found the driver file on the c: drive but when I launched the installer I got a message that says the the "System Administrator" had settings preventing installation - (my account is the administrator account )

I attached the screen shot as a file.

Attached Thumbnails

• screen_shots.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try going here and use the Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products... gray button...after that reboot
no joy...
lets try this...

go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
also UNCHECK Old Prefetch data..
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows

Edited by happyrock, 19 February 2010 - 12:01 PM.

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well, 3 days and no BSOD's - fingers are crossed. Something must be up with teh Nvidia - I used the gray button search for updates on their website - IT ID's the driver I have and the updatres that are availible but..... When I tried to download I got an error message saying the file was corrupted -> try again. I Tried again and got the same error message.

I ran the msconfig and uncheck lots of stuff - startups are much faster. I have been deleting old unused files and programs and freed up a little HD memory. CCcleaner freed up lots too. I have defragged numerous times an then defragged som more - HD seems to like it.

You have been a great help ! Thanks for your time!

John

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...
at this point your not having issues so ...lets go with if its not broke, don't fix it...
don't try to update the video driver...
just run it for awhile...we can leave this thread open so if you start having problems again let us know