Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Starts Slow/Runs Slow/Gives Error Msg and Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK, thanks again!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
BSOS is back, it has happened 3 times in 2 days. Computer shuts down to standby mode after inactivity. When I go to wake it up I can hear the hard drive start to spin-up then stop followed by the BSOD.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try this...
Click Start... click Run...type in powercfg.cpl... and then press enter
In the Power Options Properties dialog box, click the Hibernate tab...uncheck allow hibernation...click apply
then click on the power schemes tab...down in the system standby section...set that to never...then click on OK
reboot

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Three weeks and no bsods - that is a good thing.

Now I remember why I had the stand-by/hibernate settings applied. If i shut the computer all the way down and use the button on the front of teh case to power the unit up I get a balck screen with a blinking cursor. To get past this I have to power down the printer (attached via USB2.0) sometimes the computer will continue to boot - other times I have to CTRL-ALT-DELETE to restart the boot.

I have just added (2 days ago) an external HD (WD Elements 1.5TB) and have to either disconnect it before shutting down or unplug it and go through the same process as with the printer.