Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Two routers through one hub

• Please log in to reply

rklamer

rklamer

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey guys,

I've got a problem I need to work out. I'll try to explain this briefly.

---DESCRIPTION OF NETWORK
Our house has three floors (includes basement) The Comcast tech installed the cable modem upstairs when we had computers there. We moved the computers downstairs, and are using the Cat5 cables that run through the house to connect the computers in the home at their new location -- the main floor of the home.

Basically, the cable connection goes like this:

Comcast --> Cable Modem --> Basement of House (I use an old ethernet hub here to connect the Cat5 cable from the upstairs room and the Cat5 cable of the new computer room) --> Computer room

---/DESCRIPTION

My network works perfectly. The problem I'm having now is that we also need to get internet into another room which holds video game consoles and an extra computer. I have three things to use -- the old 5-port ethernet hub, a Netgear WPN824v3 (the main router that we feed our wireless from), and a Linksys WRT54G.

Due to cable restrictions, I have to connect both the Netgear router and the Linksys router to the hub in the basement. The Netgear router works fine this way; however, the WRT54G will not connect for any reason. I've tried both putting the Internet cable into the Uplink (WAN) port, and just putting it in one of the numbered ports... neither work.

Any suggestions on how to make this work? I'd rather not install custom firmware to my WRT54G, but if it has to be done, I guess I'll have to. Thanks for any help!

Edited by rklamer, 12 February 2010 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Is it possible to simply run another CAT5 cable from the "the old 5-port ethernet hub" to wherever you need it?

BTW, an "ethernet hub" can really slow things down:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Ethernet_hub

Use a "switch" instead. For example:

http://www.newegg.co...amp;Order=PRICE

rklamer

rklamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Is it possible to simply run another CAT5 cable from the "the old 5-port ethernet hub" to wherever you need it?

BTW, an "ethernet hub" can really slow things down:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Ethernet_hub

Use a "switch" instead. For example:

http://www.newegg.co...amp;Order=PRICE

Sadly no, as I only have one 30-foot ethernet cable to reach that second room. There's a few things that needed Internet in there.

And yeah, I wish I could get a switch. Unfortunately I had to work with what I had.

I got it all figured out, though. It was one of those things where you make a topic asking for help, then you figure it out in the next hour. I hate it when that happens! :) Turns out that the two routers sending two different MAC Addresses weren't both getting connections as Comcast only allows one MAC Address to be connected to send/receive data. I ended up switching the hub with the WPN824 and setting the WRT54G up as a switch.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Excellent! Good to hear the problem's been solved. Thanks for posting back. :)