Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need a new motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

pegazuz

pegazuz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A couple weeks ago I started having some random crashes which often had a popping sound. It would generally restart or try to restart. After one crash it wouldn’t restart so I was checking main power plug in and it seemed loose since it restarted after I reseated plug in. Now it won’t boot up. It will get to Windows Starting screen and run this for about 20 seconds before going black. It will stay black till I force a shut down with power switch. Sometimes I see monitor going to sleep message when it goes black. I am assuming this means a loss of signal.

I have three hard drives that can boot up and it acts the same on all three, Two Windows 7 Pro and one XPPro. It will boot fine into safe mode and seems to run OK with no crashes or shut downs. Memory diagnostic test and Norton virus and spy ware scan done in safe mode revealed nothing. It does same thing whether using onboard video or Radeon 4670 video card.

The motherboard is MSI DKA 790 GX, CPU IS AMD 64 X2 Brisbane 2600 65 watt, PSU is PC power and Cooling 759 watt ATX12V/EPS SLI Certified. RAM is 4 GB G.Skill DDR2 800.

Voltage readings are 3.3+ 3.408, 5v = 4.666, 12v = 12.144 in bios readout.

Is there anything I can do to try clarify problem more beside taking it to repair shop.

Advertisements

pegazuz

pegazuz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The computer starting working again. Still don't know what caused the problem or caused it to start working again.
Will look at replacing PSU and / or motherboard if problem returns.