Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting rid of old vista windows folder after installing 7

• Please log in to reply

wilty

wilty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently updated to windows 7 pro from vista home premium. My laptop has two hard drives, C (w/ 30 gb and D (w/ 180 gb). Vista came on my C drive but I installed 7 on my D drive because it had more space. Now though my C drive still contains the Windows folder from Vista and it's taking up 20 gbs while the new Windows folder for 7 is only using 7 gb on D. I already deleted the windows.old file that came from the 7 installation but whenever I try to delete the Vista Windows folder on C I get a message saying I need permission from trustedinstaller.
How can I get rid of the vista files because they are taking up way too much space?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You should try 'formatting' the drive instead of trying to just delete a folder on it.
Start Windows 7, right-click drive 'C' and choose 'Format' from the context-menu.

If you still get a permissions error, try logging on as Administrator.

Important: Formatting will erase all data on the drive, so if there are any files on it you want to keep, copy them to your Windows 7 drive first! (and preferably to another backup medium as well, just for good measure).