Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on various security software

• Please log in to reply

NWkee

NWkee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Very good. I am heading over to the malware forum now. However, when the machine restarts, it looks like there are two XP OS running and it asks me which to run. It that to be expected at this point?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes because you actually do have two installed. when they are done with you we will correct that problem.

NWkee

NWkee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
After following the first three steps it looks like I am clean. Both Malwarebytes nad Avast did not find any threats. I didn't post a thread as it doesn't look like I need to.

One question I do have is whether I shoudl install Avast AND a separate anti-spyware program, such as SuperAntiSpyware. It's not completely clear to me in the thread whether it is safe to run both of these.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rule of thumb:
One of each of the following
AntiVirus...Avast
Spyware... SuperAntiSpyware
Malware... Malwarebytes
Firewall... Windows or Comodo...If installing Comodo do not install the virus protection if you have Avast already

Also i suggest continuing with the malware forum even though the initial scans show nothing. Malware can hide deeper then the initial scans go and disguise themselves. The Malware techs have been specially trained to find these little culprits and make sure you are clean.

NWkee

NWkee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I havn't heard back from the malware forum yet but thought I'd post my reply while I'm waiting. I plan to wait until I hear back from the Malware forum, but can you give me some direction on removing the second OS that is currently running on the machine from the parallel installation?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have all you data moved over per the instructions?
What about the programs reinstalled?

Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

NWkee

NWkee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have not reinstalled anything yet, just in case we need to do this next step first.

NWkee

NWkee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Correction, I have download and installed all Windows XP updates up to and including SP3.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok get me the copy of the requested file and I can get that all ready for you.

NWkee

NWkee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Here it is. What exactly is this telling us?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0

This is the windows you are able to log in on.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Top line is your current OS you are using.
Bottom line is your original OS that does not boot up.
Now when you boot up you should be given the choice of two Windows to log in to correct?
They should be slightly different names if I'm not mistaken.
I'm sure the Winodws0 is the one you created with the Parallel Installation.
Now what I need to know is did you get all your data and documents moved over per the instructions for the Parallel installation?
Are your programs reinstalled and working?
once this is all correct then we can work on getting rid of the dual boot situation. First I would like the malware techs to make sure you are clean though as I originally mentioned.
BTW you did really good so far getting your system back up and running.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 February 2010 - 10:46 PM.

NWkee

NWkee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes, I see now. The Windows0 is the one I created during the parallel installation. That makes sense.

When we are done will everything under the old user be removed?

NWkee

NWkee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am still waiting on the Malware folks. So if I understand correctly, I should go ahead and reinstall everything and begin using the programs to be sure they are working? Is that correct? Can I do that while waiting on the Malware forum?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yes, I see now. The Windows0 is the one I created during the parallel installation. That makes sense.

When we are done will everything under the old user be removed?

Yes including programs and data.
I would wait for the malware techs before installing everything. You may take a chance on infecting the clean working installation.
Be patient and when they are done then we can move all the data if need be and then get rid of the old installation, fix the boot.ini so there is only one boot option. Then you can start reinstalling.

NWkee

NWkee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Very good. I'll post again after I hear from the Malware forum.

Thanks again.