Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE8 not running properly after update

• Please log in to reply

Piglet1668

Piglet1668

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,

I updated IE8 and now the browser does not work. I get this error message 'ordinal 650 could not be located in the dynamic link libary iertutil.dll'

I then uninstalled IE8 and now back on IE7, but I have to update to IE8 for work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and best regards.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a bad update. Have you tried it again to see if it will correct itself?
Did you do the update from Microsoft's website?

Piglet1668

Piglet1668

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello rshaffer61,

Thank you for taking the time to help.

I got the update directly from the Microsoft website. Every time I try to browse via IE, I get this error message: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The data error report reads this:
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 8.0.6001.18702 ModName: mshtml.dll
ModVer: 8.0.6001.18876 Offset: 0020a1ac

Then the browser just crashes and I get a white screen and this error message:

We were unable to return you to yahoo.com.

Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears that the website continues to have a problem.
What you can do:
Go to your home page

Try to return to yahoo.com

More information

When a website causes a failure or crash, Internet Explorer attempts to restore the site. It stops after two tries to avoid an endless loop.

Thanks much.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a bad update.
Try going to add\remove programs and at the top click the little box that says show all updates. Find the IE8 update and uninstall it. Try IE and see if it works now. If so then do the update again and see if that helps.

Piglet1668

Piglet1668

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Did what you suggested: uninstalled both IE8 updates and tried to open the browser. Still the same problem and same error messages. Other browsers are working fine - Mozilla Firefox has always been a favorite of mine. Unfortunately I have to have IE8 for my work; other browsers will not work. :)
Thanks much.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

Piglet1668

Piglet1668

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello rshaffer61,

Thank you for your previous advice. Followed such and issue has been resolved and IE running properly.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help. Best regards.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and thank you for letting us know.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

KylerIE8Outreach

KylerIE8Outreach

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Great advice, disabling some of those pesky add-ons can fix a wide range of problems!