Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BOUGHT NEW HD(ALREADY INSTALLED) NEED INSTR ON COMBINING W/ C:

• Please log in to reply

kikiera

kikiera

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi, All.

Bought a new HDD b/c my C: was running low on space. I've installed the new 500GB SATA. It is showing up on my PC but I want to know how to combine the two. All answers will be appreciated. :)

Thanks Bunches in advance,

Kikiera :)

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
:)

Bought a new HDD b/c my C: was running low on space. I've installed the new 500GB SATA. It is showing up on my PC but I want to know how to combine the two.

If your C:\ is running out of space then it was a good idea to get another drive to store data on...

What did the computer name your 500bg HDD?

Since you added another drive to the computer it will not be seen as the C: it will be named according to how your computer is setup... likely its name is E: or F:

You can't have both hard-drives addressed as the same C:\ unless you set up a RAID

If I haven't answered your question let me know... But what I believe you are asking isn't possible, except with RAID...

Good luck

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
My new drive is setup as f:. Could you instruct me on how to setup a RAID? :)

Kikiera

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi

Is there a problem for you to have a hard drive "hdd" for the OS only, and then having a separate HDD for storage.

It is a good idea to have your storage on a separate HDD, or partition of the HDD. Than on the same partition as your OS... if you ever need to reinstall your OS "which is common with Windows" the stored data will not be touched only the section of the HDD that your OS is on.

Raids can be very good. They can help your computer run faster by using multiple HDD to access your data, and also to store your data with redundancy to protect it "as best as possible" from HDD failure.

But it can get expensive...

let me know what it is your trying to accomplish and what the current problem with your setup is. I'm not sure if your up to a "raid" setup just yet... But hey you never know...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The easiest setup is to leave the new SATA drive as F drive.
Move the data from C to F to gain space.

123runner

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
@cbarnard: There isn't actually anything wrong with my C: other than I was running out of space. I already had an external TB before I bought the internal 500GB. I thought that if I purchased an internal it would be easy to combine the two to get a larger HDD. After talking to you, I think that I will just leave them separate and move the files to the larger. If something happened to my OS I wouldn't want to spend the $$ again. I have already formatted and partitioned my F:.

@123Runner: I think that's what I will do. One question about moving the data. Is there an easier way to move program files to the new drive w/out moving them one @ a time? (One at a time would take a while)

Thanks, Everyone for your input! :) :)

Kikiera

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You can not "combine" 2 separate physical drives in to 1 physical drives.
You can clone the "old" C drive to the "new" drive and therefore have a "new" 500gb C drive.

You can move data such as documents, movies, pictures, etc.
You can not move programs. You would have to un-install the programs and then re-install on the F drive.

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Actually I have already begun moving the program files from C: to the F: and they are working just fine. I created a Program Files folder on the F: and changed the drive letter of the program. I then moved the individual program folder to F:. Its working. Just wondering if I could move them faster somehow. I've used this method with my external TB also.

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I hope I didn't offend by correcting anyone :). Is there a possible way to move several files at once from one drive to the other? One at a time will take what seems like forever.

Thanks!

Kikiera :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you tried to use the programs?
I know of no way to move a program.
Programs are installed and written to the registry.

As for data, you can move them quite easily by copy and paste.

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes, I have tried to use the programs. I used one of them last night for around three hours or so. I appreciate your help.

Thank you