Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will not boot after Acronis restore.

• Please log in to reply

cosmicjazzer

cosmicjazzer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a dual boot laptop and I've just had to restore my 'office' partition from an Acronis image file. On starting the restore process I was prompted to reboot. Was then asked for boot CD so used Acronis boot disk and computer then started from Acronis instead of Windows. Restore process seemed to go ahead without hitch but from this moment the computer will ONLY start from this boot CD, not in the usual way.

I checked on the f2 startup menu and this is still as it it should be, (ie. CD boot is, I think, 3rd choice...). I noticed that the restore is not shown in Acronis log and I never received a final message saying the process had been completed successfully (as I normally would).

I'm just wondering if I should restore the MBR. I'm just a bit worried about doing anything that could put a spanner in the works as am working to a deadline at the mo and at least I can presently still boot! Anyone got any thoughts?

Advertisements

Alan_B

Alan_B

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Perhaps the image was corrupt - have you validated it ?
There are thousands of checksums along the file, and as soon as Acronis gets to an invalid checksum it will not continue.

Acronis make heavy use of most of your RAM - far more than most applications.
If your RAM has any imperfection that can cause an un-bootable image.

Do you have alternative images you can attempt to restore ?

Have you EVER had a successful restoration - some Acronis users only try it when they need it,
and just possibly they may find the Boot-CD linux type drivers are not compatible with their hardware.

Presumably your dual boot machine has some sort of boot manager which may be in its own partition or the MBR.
Perhaps it is no longer compatible with the configuration of the Office partition (C:\ ??) you are trying to restore.

If you do the wrong things to the MBR it is possible you will not be able to Boot from any of your systems.

I use Acronis 11 and have various contingency plans prepared,
so it knows not to mess with me ! ! !

There are many experts with far more knowledge than I at
http://forum.acronis.com/

They can advise you, and may be able to supply an alternative Boot-CD for better hardware compatibility if appropriate.

Alan

cosmicjazzer

cosmicjazzer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Many thanks for the detailed reply.

In the end, I restored MBR from an older Acronis image and the problem was fixed! :)