Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

moving songs from itunes to a usb

• Please log in to reply

sallyjones

sallyjones

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i use itunes for my ipod, and i want to move songs from my ipod to my usb but i'm not sure how. i figured out that i can't just drag and drop songs into my usb folder thing, so how can i do it?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
iTunes doesn't store songs themselves. It stores only a list of songs (playlist).
Songs are located somewhere on your hard drive (wherever you put them).
You can copy and paste those songs to your USB drive.

sallyjones

sallyjones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hm okay, but i deleted all the songs i had off my computer...now they show up on itunes only when i plug my ipod in. i didn't think i needed the songs stored on my computer D: what do i do now?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're supposed to copy/paste those songs, not to delete them.
COPY them back from USB stick to the very same location, they're before and iTunes should see them again.

sallyjones

sallyjones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
um >.< they're not on my usb. they're all on my ipod; no where else on my computer or USB. i can't copy and paste them from itunes onto my usb. does this mean i have to download all my 500 songs again? D:

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK, let's start over.
Where were the songs (actual files) originally located and what exactly did you do with them?

sallyjones

sallyjones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
LOL okay. i had a playlist on my USB and on my computer in the music folder. when i downloaded new songs, i would move them straight onto my ipod, without copying it to my other two folders. i deleted those 2 folders yesterday because i realised they were out of date and i didn't think i needed them.
before i deleted them, i could move songs from itunes to my friends' USB by going to "file", and then "add folder to library." for some reason all my songs would come up and i could copy songs from there and paste them into my friends' USB. but when i deleted the playlist from my USB and my computer, the songs don't come up anymore.

if this is confusing, i'm sorry LOL. my sister told me that she just drags the songs from itunes into other folders and it works. it doesn't work for me :S