Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Error

• Please log in to reply

otieatkins

otieatkins

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi Everyone,
Well, I have searched everywhere for a solution to my problem but they all seem to be geared towards servers. I am constantly getting the error:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.".
I really need a solution for this because it's stopping me from doing almost everything.

Thanks so much!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First, restart your computer in Safe Mode (only XP and Vista) and see if you can open the file or programs in question. If so, it’s not a “real” permission issue, it’s a program or process on your computer that is giving the error.

Norton Internet 200X, Bitdefender, AVG anti-virus, Trend Micro 200X can all cause this problem. If you have any of these programs installed, make sure to disable them and test it you can run programs, open files, etc.

You might read this forum for help.

http://forums.techar...tems/909948.htm

You may have to take ownership of files and programs on your computer. The problem here is that it suggests more problems if this works, like a corrupt user profile in Windows.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=308421

Kellys may have a easier fix below.

Download and run #12 lefthand side EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

SRX660

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi SRX660,
I made sure I do not have any of the security programs you mentioned.
I started in safe mode and did not get the message, but, didn't get the programs up either.
I had a problem with the EXE program. It never asked me if I wanted to Import, ran a little bit and then said there were errors because somethings could not be imported.
What a mess, huh?? Any other suggestions?
Thanks so much for taking an interest.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please tell me what program you are trying to access. If it is almost every program on the computer i think it would be far easier to see if you could backup all files you do not want to lose. I would try a USB flash drive and use windows explorer to back up.I will go into this with more detail depending on what your answer is. I also need to know what computer you have. Good basic info like make model or just any info i could use to help.

Then i would reformat the drive and reinstall windows again. I know it sounds like a lot of trouble but believe me that you can spend more time trying to find the problem than trying to fix it. A reinstall can be time consuming when you have to reset all the setting to your liking, but it would make for a faster better acting PC, so you may not need to upgrade to a newer comp.

I will continue to try working with you until there just seems there's no solution.

SRX660

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Morning!
I have tried running the registry program again (exefix). THis time I copied the message so you would know exactly what it's displaying.

"Registry Error
Cannot inport h:\downloads\exefix.reg:Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the System or other processes."

This sort of sounds like I have a problem with the registry? What can I 'end process' on to make sure the system or other program isn't holding a key? And, should I be running this in Safe Mode?

My, my.... This hole that I'm digging keeps getting deeper and deeper.....

My computer is an Alienware with 4 gb ram, 3.61 ghz processor, 4 drives totaling about 2 terabytes. This baby should be a screamer but sure isn't lately.

SRX660, have I told you how much I appreciate your help?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would try emailing the Alienware company to see if they could help at all. Otherwise it looks like your registry is corrupted.If this system is loaded with a standard version of XP i would still think about wiping the drive and reinstalling windows. It is far easier to do than trying to trouble shooting your problem . Did you get a recovery CD from alienware? If not will they let you purchase one? Your computer may be old enough that they may not. Did not Dell buy the Alienware company?

http://support.alien...pport_area.aspx

SRX660

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Good Morning,
I gave in.... I re-installed windows. Your help and suggestions are much appreciated - I can't thank you enough for your time and patience.