Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two old computers need help

• Please log in to reply

crazyhorse1964

crazyhorse1964

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I just bought a newer computer that works great!
But I have a Dell Demenision 2400 and a 4400 that I would like to remove all inportant items (Pictures/documents)and do a fresh install of the operations systems and make the computers as they were when I purchased.
Does anyone have a step by step instructions on how to do this?
Any help would be appreciated.. :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
HERE
HERE

You could also use rewritable cd's or dvd's depending on the amount of data you need to backup.
To do it you would need a burning software and just add the folders with the data and burn them to cd's or dvd's.

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.
Please let me know if I can answer any further questions you may have as I am always happy to assist.

crazyhorse1964

crazyhorse1964

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the info... After I back everything up what is my next step to remove everything from the computer?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
once everything is removed then you would have format and install everyhting from the recovery cd's that I hope you have.
Dell is putting a Recovery Partition on their newer system but given the age of yours i don't kno if it would be there. You can try to access it by doing the following. This would allow you to formata nd reinstall the OS with all the original drivers just like it was brand new.

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

crazyhorse1964

crazyhorse1964

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Other than some pictues and documents what kind of other items would I want to save?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That would be it. Video's, Movies, pictures, Documents, Presentations.

Unless you have a lot of pictures a single rewritable cd should get everything.

crazyhorse1964

crazyhorse1964

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks so much. I'm guessing the best way to find these things is to do a search?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Or open up every single folder and subfolder.
A lot of people are not as organized as they should be. And even those that think they are organized find they are not.
You shouldn't have to look in the windows folder though.

With data, pictures, movies, etc ending in a myriad of extensions a search might not get them all.

123runner

crazyhorse1964

crazyhorse1964

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Every folder in my hard drive?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would know where pictures are since you installed them.
Documents can be found under Documents and Settings\My Documents
If not there then in the program folder like Excel or Office.