Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wondows won't Start

• Please log in to reply

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
In the box it says:
238473 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

-: Partition1 [FAT] 267MB (260MB free)
C: Partition2 [NTFS] 238206 MB ( 209749 MB free)

Is it correct that I should choose C: Partition2 [NTFS] ?

Edited by JimSellers, 15 February 2010 - 01:35 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes C

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Okay, I did the parallel install, and the files loaded, and the setup was initialized, and the configuration took place, and the red bar started from left to right and it said the computer would reboot in ever decreasing seconds as the bar progressed across the screen, and it said to remove any floppies, so I opened the CD drawer, and the computer rebooted to the blank screen and blinking cursor. I entered the "Recovery Console," and sure enough there are now two installations, "1: c:\Windows" and "2: C:\Windows0" Just before the parallel install ended it said something to the effect that setup would continue after the computer rebooted, but nothing happened after the blank screen and blinking cursor. Normally should the process have continued, or should Windows have started?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It should have continued. Try putting disk in and letting it boot with the disk in without going to the recovery console. Does it then start again?

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
It goes to "Press any key to boot from CD. . . . . and nothing happens after that if I do not press a key. I rebooted and pressed a key to boot from CD, and here I am at the "Welcome to Setup" with the options to ENTER to set up Windows XP, and to repair a Windows XP installagion press R.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
It goes to "Press any key to boot from CD. . . . . and nothing happens after that if I do not press a key. I rebooted and pressed a key to boot from CD, and here I am at the "Welcome to Setup" with the options to ENTER to set up Windows XP, and to repair a Windows XP installagion press R.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well this is just plain weird

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Well, I guess maybe it's time to have a recreational beverage, and have a meal. I cannot possibly thank you enough for all the time and effort you've spent with me trying to get this sorted out. The computer is still a mess, but I've enjoyed the process and learned a lot, and thanks again very much. Cheers, Jim

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and I am determined to figure this out with you.
Is there any way to borrow a different XP cd to try and load this system?

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I'm going out of town for a few days, and will take the computer with me, and try to locate another XP disk, and someone's computer that I can use to communicate with you. Thanks very much again, and I'll be looking forward continuing the quest. Cheers, Jim

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem. I will be here when you are ready again.

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 February 2010 - 11:55 AM.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Halleluiah, I’m generating this on my computer. The old 30 GB hard drive arrived, and the computer wouldn’t boot from it while it was in its USB enclosure, but when I installed it in the computer it worked. I’ve been doing some reading, and it looks like there is a problem with Inspiron 8500s. Apparently they do not have any bios that will recognize a drive larger than 137 GB. Larger drives will work for a time, or maybe forever, but quite a few people have problems eventually. Here’s a web address where the problem is discussed, in case any of the readers are interested. http://en.community....t/19274312.aspx I called the people who sold me the larger drive, who claimed that it was compatible with an Inspiron 8500, and suggested that even though the guarantee had run out, that they swap me my 250 GB drive for an 80 GB drive. I just talked with them and they agreed to all of that, plus refund the difference in price!! So I should be back in great shape in a few days. Again, I can’t thank you enough for all your help and time. I learned a lot, and it was great working with you. Cheers, Jim

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear, especially about the company willing to help you out.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
/u]

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I received the 80GB drive, cloned the 30GB drive onto it, and installed it into the computer, and all seems to be working fine. Many, Many thanks again. Cheers, Jim

louisaq

louisaq

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!
Do you still have that drive? Mine just died and I would like to start trying to recover the data by replacing the board behind it. Please let me know if you can help me.
Thank you very much.
Louis