Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running iTunes on 2 computers

• Please log in to reply

mjkpucks

mjkpucks

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I have a desktop and a laptop running on a wireless network in my house, and would like to run the same iTunes library on both computers. Is this possible? Thanks.

Mike

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
You can share a library between computers, but keep in mind, that you cannot sync to a shared library. Unless they changed that in the last release. I haven't gotten a chance to check since I saw the update prompt the other day.

There are hack options and ways to sync libraries across the network, but nothing native to iTunes.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 16 February 2010 - 07:04 AM.

mjkpucks

mjkpucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks. To be honest I'm not that familiar with the iTunes application. Are there instructions in their Help menu about how I setup sharing the library between computers?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
There a couple ways to do this and to be honest they all have their drawbacks. I haven't found one that suits me yet, so I do things manually. You can do something as simple as sharing the iTunes Music folder on your desktop (assuming that's where the content is located) and then mapping to the library file within that share from the laptop.

Or you could look into the new iTunes Home Sharing feature.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 16 February 2010 - 01:12 PM.

mjkpucks

mjkpucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is great information, thanks. Hope to see your Flyers playing for the Cup but the Blackhawks will win!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Since the topic seems to be resolved and/or over, I have no problem in saying Go Blues! :)

Hopefully we don't finish last... :)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

This is great information, thanks. Hope to see your Flyers playing for the Cup but the Blackhawks will win!

Thanks! I just hope they don't do anything stupid prior to the trade deadline. Your Blackhawks definitely have a shot. I've caught them a couple times and they do look dangerous.

I'll have to remember to check in on this thread on March 13th after the game (Flyers vs. Blackhawks). :)

mjkpucks

mjkpucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK, well we can all be cheering for the same team at least for next week. Go Team USA!