Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperately in need of HELP!

• Please log in to reply

danie63

danie63

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
So here's the story:
Today I clicked on a link that someone sent to me through AIM and it turns out that is was a virus, I hadn't heard of it but when i searched it after clicking on it, it turns out it's the "check this out" virus. I ran AIMFix from jayloden.com and I thought that would fix it but something was saved on my desktop and it wouldn't delete. I ran ad-aware and Pest Patrol virus scan and when Pest Patrol was done it said to restart the computer and so I did. The computer restarted but my desktop shows up and there is no taskbar or icons and then it logs off my user name and whenever I try to log back on it logs off again before it even logs on. This happens everytime I restart. I tried to restore windows with the restore cd that the computer came with, to restore the computer to the settings the way it was when i bought it. I tried to restart in safe mode it does the exact same thing only in safe mode. I can't do anything to it because there's nothing on te desktop and it won't let me log on. Please help if you have any suggestions. I'm at a loss, I can't even think of what to do :tazz:

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi danie63

This is where learning some of the keyboard shortcuts comes in handy, first, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys at once. this will bring up the task manager, select Applications tab - New Task Button on the lower right hand side, select Browse - go to C:\Windows and find the program called Explorer.exe, select this and you icons on the desktop will start up again. Hopefully this will let you get your other problems fixed. :tazz:

danie63

danie63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey, thanx for such a prompt response, unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work, when the desktop comes up it only comes up for about a minute and it seems like nothing I press on the keyboard has any effect. The mouse pointer is there but the desktop comes up for about a minute or less and then it logs off. Is there anything else I should try? I'm so confused because there are no error messages or anything either.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Have you tried to reboot the cp into Safe mode to see if it stays running? As soon as you see the XP Splash screen, start tapping the F5 key and select safe mode from the menu. If it stays running ok, run a virus scan, spyware scan, etc, etc.

danie63

danie63

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
In safe mode it gives me the option of logging on as the administrator or as myself but neither even takes me to the desktop, it says loading your personal setting and then it says logging off both times.