Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Redirects + Window Freezes! Already deleted "Internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
ok

Advertisements

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

So I've done everything you said, but I have no idea how to get the "bad" computer to recognize the CD. When I turn the computer on, it goes to a black page with choices such as "safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc" but before that, there's a page with a choice of "Windows Recovery Console" or something, and when I choose that, it says " NTLDR is compressed. press ctrl + alt + del to restart" and that's it. Is there another way for the computer to recognize the CD?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
we need to boot up via CD, its not too tough don't worry

Make sure the CD is in the machine. Start the machine, keep pressing F2 to enter Setup ( or whatever it says it is, could be F12 )

Set CD ROM as primary boot device
Reboot the system
Follow the instructions from before

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay so it finally recognized the CD after I did what you told me to do in the previous step, but then after I chose "recovery console" and press R, it says "setup cannot find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3"

Right after the CD loaded, there were choices for recovery console or install windows XP. Would it do anything to choose the "install windows XP" option?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
ok this is getting a bit too tough for me

I need to send you over to the Windows XP forum, tell them I sent you over and I suspect your userinit key got borked

When they get you logged back in, return here

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

So you mean I should start a new post under the windows XP forum and name it "windows borked. referred by ______your username____ ?
I feel like I should say thank you again :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
yes that's what you need to do

vannilafudge

vannilafudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, I have posted a topic with the name of "Windows XP (borked?) referred by Rorschach112". I will return to here as soon as someone helps me out over on that side. Thanks

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
ok cool

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements