Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installed a new hard drive, lost all audio

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope not leaving just looking for other possible reasons.
Since this all started with the install of the second hd have you tried to disconnect the second hd just to see if the problem corrects itself?

Advertisements

Schizoider

Schizoider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for sticking around. :)

I opened up my computer and tried unhooking the drive I installed. It doesn't appear to make a difference. I tried every audio jack and tried setting every audio device to default just to be sure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I just can't think of anything else then that could be causing this besides a faulty audio chipset or southbridge on your motherboard.
If speakers are plugged into the correct spots, powered on and volume up. System volume is turned up in volume control in control panel or audio properties then I am lost as to what the problem is.

Schizoider

Schizoider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I was afraid you'd say that...

Do you think I could have blown the audio jack when I was reconnecting my computer?

Is there any way to fix this? Am I stuck without sound forever?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I doubt you could have blown them unless you touched the southbridge with a live electrical wire and even then it is highly unlikely.
The only way to fix it is to put a add on sound card in the system.
Not a big problem as you can get soundcards cheap now days depending on what kind you want.

Schizoider

Schizoider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well, like I said, I really do appreciate your help. You certainly know your stuff.

Before you go, could you possibly recommend a Sound Card for a relatively new Gateway PC? I don't need anything fancy. What is the deal with USB sound cards?

Edited by Schizoider, 14 February 2010 - 07:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wait how old is the system?
Is there any warranty on it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
http://www.tigerdire...e...7&CatId=107

Schizoider

Schizoider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, there's a 1-year warranty on it, but in order to have anything fixed, I'd have to ship the entire computer. This would cost me more than the sound card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is true but you do realize this may void any warranty you have?
Just a warning as I'm not sure how the manufacturer works where you bought your system so just be careful.
What do you think of the sound card I linked for you?

Advertisements

Schizoider

Schizoider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I realize it may void the warranty, but all things considered, just replacing the sound card is my best option.

The sound card you listed seems fine. I'm going to head over to BestBuy today and see what they have. I was happy with the integrated sound card, so the cheaper the better. Do you know anything about USB sound cards? The idea of just sticking something in a USB slot appeals to me.

I just hope the sound problem doesn't follow me when I get a new sound card. Then I'd be... unhappy. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They seem like a great ideal for laptop owners so that they can have the same quality sound as desktop users. I imagine the quality would also work for a desktop considering the different manufacturers and types of soundcards now available for USB.
I had not even heard of them till lately but researching them they seem impressive in my opinion and I agree being able to plug one in like that is fascinating to say the least.

Schizoider

Schizoider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just bought a Sound Blaster Play USB card/adapter off Ebay for under $30 (CAN). From what I read, it's a solid card, and the fact that its plugs into my USB means that it shouldn't void my warranty.

I'll post an update when it arrives.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That sounds great and which SB was it.. XFI?

Schizoider

Schizoider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It's just called 'Sound Blaster Play'. Here's a link:

http://www.soundblas...p;product=17892