Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

text files are not a valid win32 application

• Please log in to reply

StepbyStepPlease

StepbyStepPlease

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Everything else on my computer works fine, I'm even able to open notepad and such, but when i save the text files i can't open them. Sorry if i didn't use the search thing to the extent i should have but the results i were getting weren't close to what i needed.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit StepbyStepPlease? and Welcome to GtoG..

If you're getting that "not a valid win32 application", you maybe trying to "run" your text file. If you open notepad and then left click on File and then left click on Open, you should see a window pop up that is looking in your document folder with "txt" files listed. Left click on any txt files that you see and they should open.

Your system may also have "Wordpad" which saves in an "rtf", (rich text file), format. Wordpad is a stronger word processor than notepad and can handle bigger files.

Hope this helps... :)

StepbyStepPlease

StepbyStepPlease

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Howszit StepbyStepPlease? and Welcome to GtoG..

If you're getting that "not a valid win32 application", you maybe trying to "run" your text file. If you open notepad and then left click on File and then left click on Open, you should see a window pop up that is looking in your document folder with "txt" files listed. Left click on any txt files that you see and they should open.

Your system may also have "Wordpad" which saves in an "rtf", (rich text file), format. Wordpad is a stronger word processor than notepad and can handle bigger files.

Hope this helps... :)

The first option you gave me worked, is there a way i can make the textfiles open without having to open notepad and file opening each text file, if there isn't thanks for the help :)

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Ok, it sounds like somehow your system file association for TXT files had been corrupted. Open my documents, then left click on "Tools", and then left click on "Folder Options". The third tab on the window that pops up is named "File Types". Left clcik on that and your system will "think" for a little while as it retrieves its file associations. Scroll down til you get to the TXT file type. See below:
File_assoc.JPG

If you click on the change button, you can reset the association to Notepad, (or Wordpad, which does have more word processing tools than Notepad.

Good Luck and be careful not to change any of the other file associations.. Just the one that you're having trouble with. Once you've done this, you can open txt files just by clicking on the file name. :)

StepbyStepPlease

StepbyStepPlease

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nvm i had chosen a shortcut and not the exe itself. thanks for the help :)

Edited by StepbyStepPlease, 15 February 2010 - 06:25 PM.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Don't forget to defragment and check your hard for errors every other month or so. (Right Mouse click on Drive C in My Computer then left click on Properties. 2nd tab in is Tools, left click on that and you'll find both of them). Remember, these things are only appliances and are not infallible. Backing up your important data is also highly recommended.

Anytime you find yourself confused about something your system is doing, just post your question here. You will get help :)