Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sand glass keeps popping up

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then on to the password problem.
To change the way users log on your system:
1: Go to Start
2: Control Panel
3: User Accounts
4: Click on Change the way users log on and off
5: Click on " Use The Welcome Screen" and "Use Fast User Switching"
6: Click Apply Options
If the system doesn't auto reboot then reboot the system

Advertisements

landmans

landmans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dear Mr Shaffer,
The windows still appears on start up. Are you sure I have to choose both options, including the Welcome Screen, that is?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more then one user account setup then that is why it is asking this.I did find two different ways to do this:

Windows XP - solution 1:

* Select Run from the Start Menu, type control userpasswords2, and click Ok.
* Turn off the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok.

Windows XP - solution 2:

* If you have one user account and no password configured, Windows XP will log you in automatically. Otherwise, you'll have to do the following:

* Obtain and install the Windows XP version of TweakUI.
* Open TweakUI (it's in Start -> Programs -> Powertoys for Windows XP).
* Expand the Logon branch, and click Autologon.
* Turn on the Log on automatically at system startup option, type your username and password, and click Ok.

I myself prefer the second method as I have used TweakUIXP with great results in the past. You can get it from my signature below

landmans

landmans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dear Mr Shaffer, I have unmarked 'Use Fast User Switching' and now the system goes into Windows without a glitch. This means that my two problems are now over. I thank you for your expert advice throughout!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)