Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New HDD wont boot, whats wrong?

• Please log in to reply

scdb

scdb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, i will try to describe my problem as best i can and as accurate. It started about 1 week ago, i was doing my ordinary stuff on the computer then all of a sudden my computer froze completely, so i hit the reset button no big deal, then it said Detecting IDE drivers...nothing happend so i restarted again, then i saw that my hard disk wasnt in the boot list and couldnt find it in the BIOS either. A day later i tried booting my computer up again all of a sudden my hard drive was listed it so i got the the login screen then bam blue screen then same thing happend no hard disk listed. My hard disk drive is 4-5 years old (some old PATA 250gbs) and my brother told me its probably broken, so i bought a new SATA disk it was about time anyways, a Samsung Spinpoint F3. I connected everything and started the computer ready to install Windows XP on it and the same thing happends again it doesnt detect any hard drive disk on it, neither in BIOS (although it found my CDROM). Me & my brother decided to do some tests to elimate some possibilites why it wouldnt detect my brand new HDD, we tried changing power supply, even tried to install RAID drivers but it wouldnt work, all cables connected correctly still unable to detect it, really frustrating!

i personally dont know much about computers, but my brother knows a good deal but yet he doesnt know whats wrong, any ideas?

PC specifications:
(note this computer i have is 4-5 years old now)
Motherboard: MSI K8N SLI-FI, nForce4 SLI, Socket-939
AMD Athlon 4200+ x2 dual core proccesors
*NEW* SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB SATA/300 7200RPM 32MB

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Look in the CMOS|BIOS Setup for an ATA mode or IDE compatibility mode for SATA controllers. For example, the computer I'm on right now has:

SATA Controller Mode:
- AHCI
- Compatibility

You would want the IDE "Compatibility" mode.

scdb

scdb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thx for answering

SpywareDR @ pretty sure we did that already, without result

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 setup
http://support.micro....com/kb/314859/

Here's a link to the driver:
http://www.msi.com/i...amp;prod_no=203
(The "nVidia SATA RAID Driver (For floppy driver)").

scdb

scdb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
A little update:

So we did some testing last night, we enabled and disabled IDE & SATA controllers and basically everything in BIOS to see if it was some malfunction~, we tried different power cables in all SATA ports without success. Dont think it has anything to do with BIOS but something else, only thing i think was worth mentioning is that i have a BIOS version 1.4, but theres a 1.8 available, would upgrading to the latest make any difference at all?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a suggestion... Have you tried the drive in a known working system to make sure the drive itself is not the problem?
I just built a new system with a 500 gig SATA partitioned into 3 partitions with 3 different OS's installed. I also have 2 x 1 tb drives and one of the 1tb drives doa. Brand new but it does happen from time to time.