Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Odd situation with laptop screen

• Please log in to reply

goldhound

goldhound

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Dell Studio 1535
Vista 32 bit

Wife's machine. The display began to flicker and finally black screen but a flashlight shows that all is working just a screen or backlight switch? Problem.
I connected an external monitor and now laptop monitor as well as external work fine. If i disconnect external monitor laptop monitor problem comes back. :)
I connected another power supply (from my identical machine which works fine) no change. Reinstalled the video drivers, no joy.

Any thoughts from those who know? Thanks!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Go into Control Panel >> Power Options and check the settings for "Choose when to turn off the display" which will be in the tasks list on the left.

If it's not that, check setting for "Change when the computer sleeps" (also in the task list on the left)

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 14 February 2010 - 05:36 PM.

goldhound

goldhound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Go into Control Panel >> Power Options and check the settings for "Choose when to turn off the display" which will be in the tasks list on the left.

If it's not that, check setting for "Change when the computer sleeps" (also in the task list on the left)

Thank you Phillip for your response.
Some Dell laptops commonly have issues with not waking from sleep properly, we have lived with that and tried every combination of settings to no avail on both machines. A BIOS upgrade did not help either.

The original issue was that the screen began to flicker then blacked out while she was using it. A reboot brought the screen back for about a minute then flickering to black again. There is no change if one moves or jiggles/jars the lid so does not appear to be the connection.
Occasionally after reboot it would work normally for an hour and once for an entire day then back to black.
That is when i connected the external monitor to be sure the graphics card was ok.

Soooooo, now the laptop screen works fine as long as the external monitor is connected. It dies to black when external is disconnected. I lean toward a bad switch on the backlight but do not know if it could be an over voltage issue corrected by the drain from two monitors?
It is operating fine but not portable :)

goldhound

goldhound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Thank you Phillip for your response.
Some Dell laptops commonly have issues with not waking from sleep properly, we have lived with that and tried every combination of settings to no avail on both machines. A BIOS upgrade did not help either.

The original issue was that the screen began to flicker then blacked out while she was using it. A reboot brought the screen back for about a minute then flickering to black again. There is no change if one moves or jiggles/jars the lid so does not appear to be the connection.
Occasionally after reboot it would work normally for an hour and once for an entire day then back to black.
That is when i connected the external monitor to be sure the graphics card was ok.

Soooooo, now the laptop screen works fine as long as the external monitor is connected. It dies to black when external is disconnected. I lean toward a bad switch on the backlight but do not know if it could be an over voltage issue corrected by the drain from two monitors?
It is operating fine but not portable :)

BTT.........