Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create an account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign In Create Account

Red dots on Screen

• Please log in to reply

lately9

lately9

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Recently, all these flickering little red dots are appearing on my laptop screen. I don't think it's the monitor because when I go to the BIOS screen, there are no red dots. Do you think my graphics card is going bad? :) I've only had this computer for a little over a year. Thanks.

Similar Topics: Red dots on Screen     x

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,748 posts
Have you tried a different monitor to see if it is the monitor or not?

lately9

lately9

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
No. I have another monitor that I could plug it into, but I'm not sure how to do that.

lately9

lately9

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I plugged another monitor into my laptop and the laptop still has the red dots on it, but the monitor I plugged it into did not. Does this mean that it is my laptop's monitor going bad, or the graphics card?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,849 posts
I would say that there is a high likelihood. You could try reinstalling the drivers to see if that helps.

What is the make and model of your video card?

lately9

lately9

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Nvidia GeForce 8200M G. Is the high probabilty my monitor or my graphics card?

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I don't really know the answer, but I had been having the same problem in vista, but when I upgraded to windows 7 recently, the red dots dissappeared.

lately9

lately9

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Could someone please give me some input into what might be causing this. It just seems to be getting progessively worse. Please help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,748 posts
I see you did the monitor steps and yes i would have to agree that it is most likely the video on the laptop or the screen itself.
The probability is equal to which one it is.
What is the make and model of your laptop? Is it a HP laptop?
If so go HERE for a driver from HP themselves for that model video.

Edited by rshaffer61, 22 February 2010 - 07:35 PM.

lately9

lately9

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
It is an HP/Compaq Presario CQ50. I tried to uninstall/reinstall the drivers and it's actually worse. :/ Any other ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,748 posts
Being a laptop your options are very limited.
Repair from a shop which may be very expensive
Replacement of the motherboard completely, again probably very expensive
Replace the laptop completely and purchase a external 2.5" enclosure and use the existing hard drive to copy all the data over to the new laptop. After that format the old hard drive and use it as a secondary hd for your new laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured