Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming, is it bad for you?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi all,

So I was hoping to see if anyone here that is a gamer, has the same thoughts I do. Let me explain:

I have recently started gaming more than I ever have. All I really play is Crysis Wars Online. It is fascinating how real the game looks, as if I'm watching a real action movie, but I control what happens. I have found right after I'm done playing, my mind is somewhat speedy, like racing thoughts. Almost as if I'm on a drug. I have also noticed that randomly throughout the day I visions/thoughts of in-game-play. Though I don't feel bad or scared or anything, it makes me think of "Post Traumatic Stress Syndrom". Do you think games can be sooo real and/or sooo intense, it can cause this? Or similar problems? What about in the future?

And I wonder, after I become more experience with gaming, if my racing thoughts or visions of the in-game-play will subside. What about as games advance? Will it ever become so real like, that it can causing disturbing mental disorders?

Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm not talking about gaming addiction or anything like that, but more how does gaming affect the Psyche.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If it is we are not going to admit it. It probibly is.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
it kinda depends on how you look at it. the situation about games being bad for you is complex. on one hand people think there may be a slight increase in violent fantasies by playing games. but alternatavily some say that people with personality disorders and naturally occuring violent tendancies are actually less likley to carry out said thoughts if they play alot of games so on one hand it does encourage bad things but it also acts as an outlet for worst that humanity has to offer in a way that doesent kill or otherwise harm people. the only way i can see games being actually bad for you physically would be those kids that starve to death trying beat a game within the first week that it comes out. but frankly if you can get so involved in a game that you ignore basic bodily functions to the point of death than your brain has to be broken in some way. "wow my stomach feels like it is going to implode maby i should pause the game and order a pizza.... no on second thought i think ill kill more demons and than get somthing to eat at the next tavern yummm nothing like the taste of old fassion virtual cooking XD"

frankly we wont know any hard numbers till the scientsts finish playing their video games and get around to studying said games

Edited by mikeloeven, 17 February 2010 - 10:49 PM.

freakwizard

freakwizard

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well as mentioned earlier it all depends on how you take it. If you believe that you have self-control and you can game as well as do all your normal daily work then your pretty OK. It's actually when gaming becomes a hindrance to other people who work with you or when gaming becomes a hindrance to you, yourself. Because as soon as gaming starts affecting the work you do and you keep putting things off that's when your getting addicted and you need to cut yourself some time off from it!
Also you know when playing too much games is affecting your life when you refuse to hang out with your real life friends, or refuse to go to sports practices but instead hang out with your in-game friends playing whatever.

All I'm saying is, no matter how much you game, if you can live your life properly and you do what your supposed to do then gaming won't be a problem to you.

Cl455icCh4o5

Cl455icCh4o5

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
ive been an avid gamer from about 1989 i own nearly every console around plus various pc's
the idea that a game could change the way we think, is not a new one.
films like the lawnmower man show this.
but the reality of it is different long term game use can sharpen some brain processes making you reflexs quicker but other than that have no affect
the idea that a game could change the way someone thinks has been blown out of proprtion by the media, they use it as a scape goat to blame when something bad happens columbine etc.
the problem is this...when violent crimes commited by young people are analised they show no common links other than the fact they are gamers. in the same way all these people have socks and shoes, you dont see people complaining that shoes sent them crazy lol

besides games are to help you relax and de-stress what better way is there than shooting or punching something at least its not your mum lol

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

what better way is there than shooting or punching something at least its not your mum

:)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Oddly enough, I ran across this the other day having the same thoughts myself. I guess you and I are like minded. :)

YouTube Video

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 26 February 2010 - 08:48 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
That was really good and made a lot of sense. I think I'll go outside today, see how Mr. Sun is doing LOL

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
The sun, what's that? :)

It's been snowing here for what seems like forever. I don't think winter is ever going to end.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WOW is the one game i see that makes people really strange. It seems the people who play that are obsessed and can't get straight without it. maybe I'm wrong but it just seems they are all possessed.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

WOW is the one game i see that makes people really strange

I've seen comments thoughout the web about WoW and games similar to it... mostly from girlfriends/spouses. They make comments like "my bf just crawls up in his hole and plays his game all day" and such. I don't want the topic to necessarily turn into so much about addiction, but what about the psyche? In my OP, I state things about having thoughts of gameplay through out the day in my head :) similar to how a war veteran would reflect on his war memories.

Now keep in mind, I'm not saying "bad thoughts" YET, but I wonder as games get more and more real, the technology of 3D becoming big, and gamers playing on 52" screens, etc... can a fake game ever become real enough to affect the psyche? Like Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome? Can you be addicted enough and care enough with it being so real like, have it affect you in the same way?

I don't know, we'll see!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have been playing first person shooter games for years. I don't think it affects my mind in any way as I don't feel like I'm losing control and need to grab a BFG and blow things up. When I feel stressed I like to sit down and relax with a game even though the game itself can be stressful. It still clears my head and allows me to sort problems out.
Maybe it's me but a person who blames a game for his reactions in real life just isn't wrapped to tight to begin with. Blaming a game is just a way for them to justify their actions to the world and blame someone other then themselves for their actions.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Blaming a game is just a way for them to justify their actions to the world and blame someone other then themselves for their actions.

I think in many instances you are correct.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

WOW is the one game i see that makes people really strange. It seems the people who play that are obsessed and can't get straight without it. maybe I'm wrong but it just seems they are all possessed.

I am not possessed!!!!! Nor am I strange!!! :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
KAT! You come out of no where to post about WoW :)