Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming, is it bad for you?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

WOW is the one game i see that makes people really strange. It seems the people who play that are obsessed and can't get straight without it. maybe I'm wrong but it just seems they are all possessed.

I am not possessed!!!!! Nor am I strange!!! :)

:) :) :)

Advertisements

freakwizard

freakwizard

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

I don't feel like I'm losing control and need to grab a BFG and blow things up.

I honor you my fellow doom player!

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
well i normally dont like to admit that games effect me personally but recently i finally finished all the missions in gta san andraes and since than i have found myself looking around at pedestrians on my way to work and trying to figure out how much money ill get for running them over

Edited by mikeloeven, 01 March 2010 - 04:54 PM.

JJR96x

JJR96x

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
No, it just sounds like your playing a little too much. Maybe getting a little too... into it?
Try taking time resting in between playing, just pause it for a while and cool down your brain.

well i normally dont like to admit that games effect me personally but recently i finally finished all the missions in gta san andraes and since than i have found myself looking around at pedestrians on my way to work and trying to figure out how much money ill get for running them over

After playing Okami I would look at things in life and pretend to draw the rest of it.

Edited by JJR96x, 06 March 2010 - 11:35 PM.

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I think everything should be in moderation. You can have this sort of idea about many of the advances over time. When kids were sitting in front of the radio back in the day parents probably thought it was changing the way we think. Then Tv changed society in a new way. Yet maybe intense video games can alter our minds but its not alone in doing so. When looking at it from an anthropological prospective almost everything in our culture changes who we are. Video games are not exclusive in this.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

I think everything should be in moderation. You can have this sort of idea about many of the advances over time. When kids were sitting in front of the radio back in the day parents probably thought it was changing the way we think. Then Tv changed society in a new way. Yet maybe intense video games can alter our minds but its not alone in doing so. When looking at it from an anthropological prospective almost everything in our culture changes who we are. Video games are not exclusive in this.

speaking of changing society i kinda hope that one day when two countries go to war the armies will consist of small teams of specially trained nerds who will play video games to settle disputes instead of nuking each other off the face of the planet. the UN would be the admins and [bleep]slap the hackers to death

Edited by mikeloeven, 08 March 2010 - 05:28 PM.

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I find that when placed in a situation that leaves me with limited video game access that I tend to work out more and live a generally more healthy lifestyle.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

WOW is the one game i see that makes people really strange. It seems the people who play that are obsessed and can't get straight without it. maybe I'm wrong but it just seems they are all possessed.

I am not possessed!!!!! Nor am I strange!!! :)

Yeah yeah yeah...

DENIAL!!!

nuriko_1888

nuriko_1888

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Mm..I agree with everyone. Moderation is the key. Sure, after I play certain games I will think about them throughout the day but that's just because I am really interested and excited about the game. Same thing with how people play sports and often think about how they can improve their game.

Oh and as a girl gamer, it is bad in a sense. :) I have had guy friends who openly diss girl gamers and how they suck at it, or even worse, that girls don't play games.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Mm..I agree with everyone. Moderation is the key. Sure, after I play certain games I will think about them throughout the day but that's just because I am really interested and excited about the game. Same thing with how people play sports and often think about how they can improve their game.

Oh and as a girl gamer, it is bad in a sense. :) I have had guy friends who openly diss girl gamers and how they suck at it, or even worse, that girls don't play games.

i never understood where the girls dont play videogames steriotype came from i see alot of girls online and a fair number of them are actually very good. for example on one of my favorite servers there is this girl with the screen name kitten who is almoast always on the top of the kill board. i have played with her for years and i can count the number of times i actually managed to shoot her on one hand

Edited by mikeloeven, 21 March 2010 - 11:01 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds like you need to practise a bit more... :)

nuriko_1888

nuriko_1888

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
OMG. You're awesome mikeloeven. You're one of the few guys to actually respect girl gamers.

Lister192065

Lister192065

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Personally i think TV and Music play a much bigger role in warping people than video games, i mean take FPS's, clicking a button to fire a gun is as far removed from the working of an actual game as my backside is from the darkside of Europa.

Video games and controversy go hand in hand like Iko and Yorda if you'll excuse the nerdy analogy.

2 guesses to where those 2 paraphrased statements come from.