Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why Less Free Memory Than It Actually Supposed To Be?

• Please log in to reply

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have 1GB of operating memory. I checked all the processes and task manager shows that they take almost 600MB, however in available free memory he shows that 128MB left. Excuse me, but 1000MB - 600MB = 400MB. I am supposed to have 400MB of free memory - not 128MB. What is wrong? Are there hidden processes/applications that use memory that i don't see in task manager?

Note: I used CPUZ and it detects that total available memory is 1GB.

Edited by Boris_yo, 14 February 2010 - 04:23 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Some computers (especially but not exclusively laptops) are fitted with graphics chips that have no built-in video-ram so they 'share' memory with the system, supplied by the ram on the motherboard.
On systems where this is the case, the amount of system ram allocated to video can often be adjusted in the BIOS setup.