Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One of my dual channel RAM sticks broke. Struggling to find any sold u

• Please log in to reply

Dani723

Dani723

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
After one of my 2GB Kingston dual channel DDR2 6400s broke recently, I've realised that these seem to be exclusively sold as a pair.

How do you think I could get another one of these? As I don't want to have to buy another 2x2GB set. I've tried ebay, but no luck so far.

If I can't find one, do I stand to loose much performance if I run one dual channel and one single channel stick together instead of two duals? Or if I can't get a second identical stick, should I get two new ones for the best performance? I game quite a lot.

Thanks then.

Edited by Dani723, 14 February 2010 - 04:33 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this what you have?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820134636

Dani723

Dani723

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No, I've got the HyperX version

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would be better to have a matching pair so if you can't find a single one then you should just replace it with a matching pair so everything is compatible.

Dani723

Dani723

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ah I thought so, I'll get some second hand DD2 from ebay, thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Be careful as you should look for a store on ebay to buy them from and make sure you can return them if they don't work.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Newegg currently sells 2 kinds Kingston HyperX 2GB sticks of PC2 6400, HERE Notice the CL difference and model numbers.

(Just in case you want to buy new) Here is all of their PC2 6400 Kingston HyperX... HERE AGAIN

Look at model numbers as well... if one has the same model number as your current stick then you should be good to go.

Edited by Ferrari, 14 February 2010 - 07:22 PM.

Dani723

Dani723

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I live in the UK though. I have tried several searches, including for the model number without the /4G at the end of it, incase I could find a single stick of dual channel, but it seems unlikely. At least if I get new RAM I'll have a backup, and one to test in case of computer problems that might be RAM related.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I live in the UK though

Whoops, sorry. I'm not familiar with any UK stores.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Aldi is the one UK store I know of that you may try.