Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Media Center 2005 remote not functioning

• Please log in to reply

drl

drl

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I recently removed some malware from my system with the help of mpascal in the Geeks to Go Virus Removal Forum. The malware is removed, but I am now having some issues with my system. mpascal referred me to this forum to see if any of the techs here could help me out.

I'm running XP Media Center Edition (MCE) 2005.

MCE supports an infrared remote and a wired keyboard with enhanced media controls (volume, track play, skip, stop, etc.) All of the functions of these devices worked prior to the infection. Now, the remote and keyboard do not function properly -- the only way to access Media Center functions is with the mouse.

I also occasionally get a frozen login screen. I can click the user icon, but can't click the text cursor into the password box to type a password. This password issue requires a reboot before I can logon again.

The malware removal process I just went through is detailed in the following thread:

http://www.geekstogo...14#entry1764214

drl

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to reinstall the infrared remote and a wired keyboard with enhanced media control driver
first try using windows update to update your drivers...use the custom scan...get any critical updates it says you need...then look on the left side for any hardware drivers it says you need...get all of those

drl

drl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
happyrock,

Windows Update reported I didn't need any critical updates.

Windows Update did list three optional hardware updates. Following your instructions, I installed all three.
  • nVidia NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, Vidia - Display - NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, nVidia Display software update released in January, 2010
  • Realtek Realtek High Definition Audio Realtek Semiconductor Corp - Sound - Realtek High Definition Audio Realtek multimedia software update released on September 23 2005.
  • Sony Corporation SONY SDM-HS94P DVI-D Sony Corporation Home Network Company - Monitors - SONY SDM-HS94P DVI-D SONY Corporation monitor software update released on May 17 2004.
These didn't seem to address any of my reported issues, and now I have a new issue. The video card is no longer sending a component signal to my HDTV, and one of the user logins will not run a desktop resizing application I run. I don't think I should have updated the NVIDIA driver.

Also, under Optional Software Updates, it listed the following Media Center Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925766

I did not install this software update. Should I?

drl

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give me the make and model # of your system...

just roll back the video driver...how to is here
leave the nVidia Display software

don't bother with the Optional Software Updates
these are the Issues that are resolved by this update
In addition to the fixes that are contained in the updates that are listed in the "Hotfix replacement information" section, this update resolves the following issues:

* When you scan for services in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, a connected Italian (Rome) 810 megahertz (MHz) version of MUX is not found.
* Windows XP Media Center may not be compatible with certain third-party audio stream plug-ins.
* A race condition may occur after you install Microsoft Windows Media Player 11. Because of this problem, licenses are not saved for TV programs that are recorded and protected. For example, TV programs that are recorded from a provider such as HBO or Showtime will only play for up to three days.

let me do a little more searching to see if I can find the right driver...
did you get a drivers cd with the system...

Edited by happyrock, 16 February 2010 - 07:46 AM.

drl

drl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
happyrock,

Sony Vaio VGC-RA825G

The system did not come with a drivers cd.

I'll get started on the video driver rollback.

drl

drl

drl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
happyrock,

This display driver appears to have turned into its own separate issue.

Rollback didn't seem to change anything, but I was able to turn the component video back on through the nVidia control panel. (I probably could have done the same thing with the new driver had I tried)

I'm still having issues with the video resizing application saying it cant restore the saved settings, and now I can't get the cloned resolution of both displays to be 1920 by 1080. (The nvidia control panel doesn't list this resolution as an option.)

The resizing app I use is XPKeepPerUserDisplaySettings.

drl

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if I understand correctly...the only problem you have now is setting your second monitor to the same resolution...
try right clicking in a empty area of the desktop...click on settings...see if you can set the resolution there...

drl

drl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
happyrock,

Not exactly. I'm still having (basically) two issues.

1) The video issue, which has taken a turn for the worse since starting the post.

2) The MCE issues - Remote not working, keyboard media buttons not working

For the video issue I have tried setting resolution in desktop settings and the nvidia control panel, but am striking out. I think I may need to reinstall the video card driver from the cd that came with the card.

Let's focus on the MCE issues if we can. I'm still in need of guidance if you have any to offer.

drl

Edited by drl, 17 February 2010 - 10:44 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I think I may need to reinstall the video card driver from the cd that came with the card.

try it...it can't hurt...
or you could try system restore...

Remote not working, keyboard media buttons not working

that has to be a driver or software that came with the keyboard or remote...I am unable to locate a driver...you will have to contact the support section of the computer manufacture here... to see if you can get it...
use the detect my model on the left side

drl

drl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I think I may need to reinstall the video card driver from the cd that came with the card.
try it...it can't hurt...
or you could try system restore...

happyrock,

I like the sound of using system restore to get the video back to where I started since I did just reset system restore after removing the Malware two weeks ago.

I haven't done a system restore before. Where do I start?

[EDIT]

Cancel that request, I found the system restore program. Will do.

[END EDIT]

drl

Edited by drl, 17 February 2010 - 06:21 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
4. On the Select a Restore Point page, the restore points are in bold..click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, in you case pick a date back when it was working right click a restore point list, and then click Next.

Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
5. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
6. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration Complete page is displayed.
7. Click OK.

If you successfully restored your computer to a previous state, and the computer is performing as it should be, you are finished.

If the restore process completed successfully but the computer is still not performing as you want, go to the "How to undo a system restoration after you perform a System Restore" section. If you received an error message and the restore process did not finish, or if you cannot run System Restore, go to the "Next Steps" section.
here