Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Been thinking about a 5870, and trying to OC my q6600. Problem is my current heatsink isn't doing a very good job, my q6600 runs 55C~ idle. I'd like to try and OC it to 3.0, but afraid of what the temps would get up to with the current heatsink. Trying to research a new heatsink but it's a little more difficult trying to compare them all.

Advertisements

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I picked an XFX 5870 as my new card. I just finished installing it about 30 minutes ago and I got all the old drivers removed and the new ones installed. It's smoking through my games, STALKER Clear Sky and GTA4 are smooth as can be and absolutely gorgeous.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, that's good to know. How much did it cost?

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Took some risk and got it off ebay, saved me some money though. Got a XFX HD-587A-ZND9 for $351, including shipping.

Edited by ADNoland, 26 February 2010 - 04:34 PM.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
That's pretty good. If I have they money I will go with one of those when I upgrade.
I don't think I will get anything slower than the 4890.