Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE, Norton, WinUpdate, MediaPlayer errors

• Please log in to reply

kaostv

kaostv

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I previously had some serious Malware that I fixed using HiJack This with the help of a HiJack This Expert from GtoG.

At the time, my IE would automatically open up the first time when I started (or restarted) my computer and go to a jacked website telling me to purchase some adware stuff. I couldn't use my Norton Antivirus (it would not open up, even after trying to change its name) and Spybot, Adaware, etc. didn't open up. After changing the Spybot and Adaware to different names, I was then able to scan. Still I had problems so I used HOTMAIL to email GtoG and an expert helped me out.

After everything was clean, I still had a few problems:

1. IE would still open up the first time I start (or restart) the computer, but it would go to a site I specified (google, yahoo, etc.). But, I realized I could not get onto Hotmail and my brother could not get onto his webmail for his university.

Gmail was okay, my other email was okay.

2. Norton Antivirus still could not open up.

3. Windows Update does not work. The auto update does not work, it says I have an error. The site says I couldn't download it. However, yesterday and today has not even allowed me to get onto that site.

4. I noticed today that I could not use Windows Media Player. For some reason, all of my Windows type applications seem to be failing me.

Thanks,

Lawrence Kao

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the XP CD

Click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace system files.

See how Windows Update and Player react

Norton is usually an uninstall / re-install

http://www.symantec....p/consumer.html

select your version

kaostv

kaostv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried scanning my system with sfc /scannow but it seems to not have found anything.

My windows media player and hotmail still do not work.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Larry