Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help w/ First Build

• Please log in to reply

BBraamse

BBraamse

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I really didn't want to post a topic because I know a lot of people have been posting asking, "What do I get?!?!?! I need help!" But I'm another one of those people.

What I am looking for:
A desktop for gaming and running high end programs like the Adobe Suite(s)

I would like to build my own but that's just a preference. If I can find one that's already built and has what (or close to what) I am looking for then that's fine. I have a budget of $750 - $1,000 USD. I've already looked around a bit and here are some things I prefer:

AMD Phenom II X3/X4
Radeon HD 4000/5000 Series
4+ GB RAM
Windows 7
250+ GB HDD

I like the AMD processors because of the lower prices. I only need a tower built right now but some links to good monitors would help me for future shopping. And it doesn't have to be anything top-of-the-line.

P.S. If I can find something for $750 USD right now, I can buy it on the spot. :)

Thanks, in advance!

Edited by BBraamse, 15 February 2010 - 03:07 AM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
:)

Go to here -->> newegg.com

Or Here -->> Tigerdirect.com

Look through the tabs and "assemble your parts"

You will learn a lot by doing this your self...

When you are done post back with you "list of parts" and I will reply back with my thoughts...

Remember the Mobo needs to support:

1. CPU wattage (TDP) and the socket type
2. RAM speed (MHZ) and also whether the ram is DDR-1-2-3, or dual channel or triple channel ram. Also compare how much (total) ram is supported
3. SLI or crossfire support for the video card for future expansion (if you choose because you are a gamer)
and if you want SLI or crossfire then your video card and powersupply would also need to support it...

List of parts:

1.MOBO
2. CPU
3.RAM
4.Video Card
5. Optical CD\DVDROM
6. PSU
7. HDD
8. Case
9. keyboard and mouse
10.And zip-ties to "contain wires"

that should get you started... :)

Hope it helps and I look forward to seeing you list

Good luck

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Don't forget OS in that list Cbarnard. :)

Definitely always the best value to build your own. I haven't done one of these in a loooong time, so this could be fun, comes to $987.84:

That was my wish list after some choice adjustments, it looks nice and would be a good machine. Just make sure you shop around and get the best prices for each part.

Troy

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
:) Troy

Don't forget OS in that list Cbarnard. thumbsup.gif

I thought about it but I figured hey that's a common sense item, but I guess I will add it to the list... I just know when putting together a "list." I always run the list through my head to make sure I have all the proper parts.

The fun and enjoyment of your building your own computer is very rewarding. And you control the quality of the parts in the build, not some company that wants to build it with "low" budget "generic" parts.

Edited by cbarnard, 15 February 2010 - 08:35 AM.

BBraamse

BBraamse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for all the input, guys. These are some options I have so far:

Option #1:

$579.99 Link Case, MoBo, PSU, Processor, RAM, and HDD
$104.99 Link Windows 7 Home Premium

$32.17 Shipping

-- $717.15 Total

Option #1 comes with a Radeon HD 4200 integrated into the MoBo so I can always upgrade it later on. I also have a DVD Writer installed in my current PC I am replacing so I can always transfer that over.

Option #2:

$795.00 Link Everything except DVD/CD Drive

Edited by BBraamse, 15 February 2010 - 09:14 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well they look alright but certainly are heading in a different direction than what I would advise.

BBraamse

BBraamse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Well they look alright but certainly are heading in a different direction than what I would advise.

Then what would you advise, Troy?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Post #3

BBraamse

BBraamse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This is what I have so far.

PC.jpg

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Looking good, I did include 2x sets of RAM for 8GB total, but that's up to you. Don't forget the extra case fans for the front, it will help to keep everything nice and cool.

BBraamse

BBraamse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Right, I saw the extra RAM and the fans but that case is the Illusion which includes the two extra 120mm fans for the front. Saves me a little money and I get nearly everything I want.

I didn't include the extra RAM because if I can keep the price below $750, I can buy the PC right now. So I think I am going to purchase it right now. Just waiting for your final word. :)

Edited by BBraamse, 16 February 2010 - 03:54 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
What about the graphics card? You could use the onboard graphics for now and save for the discrete card for gaming, same with the extra 4GB kit to upgrade to 8GB. Is this what you were thinking?

You can purchase everything now and it should be fine. :)

BBraamse

BBraamse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, Troy. That is exactly what I was thinking. I don't play any high-demanding games - graphic-wise that is - so no need to spend the extra right now. And same for the RAM. I can just wait until I get a little more money (maybe two months) and purchase it all then along with a new monitor. :)

It's all bought and paid for just waiting for the mail carrier.

Thanks for everything!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Sounds like a good plan to me. It's a solid base you have and should serve you well. :)