Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Got the blue screen / Cant reformat either

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My xp disc is one that was downloaded from online, its not an orginal copy of windows xp, got it from an old member here on gtg

What do you mean you got it from someone here online?

Advertisements

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
It was sent to me LONG ago. I have a windows xp disc but it goes to the computer im typing on now. its not one thats brand new

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IS there a COA sticker on the case?
Is there a matching sticker or number on the XP disk?

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
No there is no matching number on the disc. I do NOT have the windows xp disc that came with that specific computer anymore...

So let me just ask this. Is there a way to fix what is going on w/ it without reformating or no?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK sorry for the long absence but life slapped me for a couple of days.
OK since it looks like the XP you are describing was around then.
Can I ask if you have used this disk before recently and\or have you checked the disk for damage or needing to be cleaned?

I would like to ask you for a picture like below.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 February 2010 - 07:38 PM.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hey there. I've run into a few VERY odd things, and hope you might have an answer or can help in some way.

So, the first blue screen w/ the error that came up...
(Remember this computer we're working on was one given to me, was not mine)

Well my computer that I use daily for work is now infected or something is wrong.. here is why I say that. Last night I got the same blue screen and it shut down. I unpluged everything and pluged it back in and it worked, I ran my webroot software and it said it found no virus. I got up and used my laptop (new one) have only had a short time, and it had the blue screen, same message. Now... just one second ago I got an error that folows..

REMOTE DESKTOP DISCONNECTED
This computer can't connect to the remote computer.

Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Unfortunately the only thing I am allowed to advise on this one is to have the malware techs take a look at it now.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here