Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with my external hard drive...i think

• Please log in to reply

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
it didn't ask me to download any debugger but i followed all other instructions

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled and no valid crash dumps have been found on your computer. In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK your problem doesn't seem to be a driver problem.
Let's take a look at the BSOD log now.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i clicked the link but the page doesn't appear to be working. i do get the blue screen sometimes and it's a pain in the arse but it doesn't appear to be connected with the problem that i'm having but i could be wrong. anyway that site just says "problem loading page" is there anywhere else i can get it from?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just tried it and it worked fine.
Here is the direct link http://www.nirsoft.n...creen_view.html

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
that's not working either :s

i went to nirsoft.net and that worked but as soon as i click utilities it doesn't come up. i'll try in internet explorer or something and see if i can get it to work that way

EDIT: i just tried it in explorer and a zonealarm alert came up saying that the site is known to distribute spyware, you seem helpful and trustworthy though (and i'm desperate for a fix lol) so i continued to the site anyway and will download the BSOD test

Edited by Pepper Jack, 19 February 2010 - 12:56 PM.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok, i ran blue screen view and it came up with 0 crashes which i know isn't true because i've had a few BSOD including one just the other night

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets do this another way.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry about jumping in here but...
you only have 14.5 % free space on your C drive...you need at least 15 % free space or you will not be able to defrag ...You should never fill an NTFS drive more than 85% full, or the Master File Table [MFT] can become badly fragmented, making the drive slow....You need special tools, such as PerfectDisk or Diskeeperpro, to defrag the MFT....
you need to remove things from the C drive to free up some space...
on a large drive one way is to set the amount of space system restore can use to only 1 or 2 % of the drive instead of the 12 % it will use as the default setting

Edited by happyrock, 19 February 2010 - 01:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Happyrock for the input. As always you are right on with your assessment of the issue. :)

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

sorry about jumping in here but...
you only have 14.5 % free space on your C drive...you need at least 15 % free space or you will not be able to defrag ...You should never fill an NTFS drive more than 85% full, or the Master File Table [MFT] can become badly fragmented, making the drive slow....You need special tools, such as PerfectDisk or Diskeeperpro, to defrag the MFT....
you need to remove things from the C drive to free up some space...
on a large drive one way is to set the amount of space system restore can use to only 1 or 2 % of the drive instead of the 12 % it will use as the default setting

well the thing is, i had a lot of free space on my hard drive when this problem started and defragged it then and it didn't help. the only reason my C drive has filled up lately is because i've been downloading things that i'd normally put on my external hard drive but i've not been putting them on the external since it tends to trigger the problem with explorer, as soon as i can fix this problem i'll be moving all that stuff to the external where it belongs

Advertisements

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
rshaffer61 i did what you said and set the dates to cover the past week since that's roughly when this problem started (as far as i'm aware) and clicked run but nothing happened, i assumed that it was scanning on something and just left the program (didn't click run again) then i checked another window and the event viewer window dissapeared lol, i have no idea where it is, it's not on the task bar and alt+tab and win key + tab doesn't show it either lol. should i just reopen and start again?

EDIT: according the the processes in the task manager it's still open and hasn't crashed...i just don't know how to get back onto the window lol

EDIT: i just noticed while in the processes tab that my CPU usage is at 100% but when i tab up the columns with more than 00 for CPU it only totals to about 10. i had a problem when i was on vista with the CPU being at 100% all the time but that was explorer.exe being in the 80s for no reason, i had to reinstall windows to get behind that problem and now the CPU usage is at 100% again...but explorer.exe is at 00 like it should be

Edited by Pepper Jack, 19 February 2010 - 01:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What happens if you disconnect the external?
Does the system run correctly then?

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

What happens if you disconnect the external?
Does the system run correctly then?

it appears to but it's hard to tell since this problem can randomly pop up at any time, sometimes explorer works fine and sometimes it'll just crap out on me, all kinds of things can trigger it. for example yesterday i got a small windows upload (about 400k or something) and it downloaded fine then when it got to "creating system restore point" it just hung on that, i went to sleep and it was still creating the restore point when i woke up. and sometimes when i clean my caches with ccleaner it works fine but when it gets to "emptying recycle bin" it hangs and thsoe are the kinds of things that cause explorer to become unuseable. trying to access the external hard drive just appears to be one of the many possible triggers

that being said they don't trigger explorer to mess up every time, sometimes i can install updates, watch videos from my external, exply recycle bin etc without any problem but about half the time these 'triggers' will cause the problem

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
VEW just popped back up with an error message saying "Run-Time error '6': Overflow"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried the steps from post 10 yet?