Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problem with my external hard drive...i think

• Please log in to reply

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok thanks, i'll try that out now

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK good luck and let me know how it all goes.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
it's a lot of messing around and i had a lot of trouble with updates crashing when i installed the first time around. is there a good chance that this will fix my computer problems?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is suppose to fix and corrupted or missing files for the OS. If this doesn't do it then we will have to go to parallel installation. i am hoping we don't have to get to that point.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i'd like to try the chkdsk thing first from post 10 but i have a few questions about it

do i have to do it the 'boot' way (pardon my noobness lol) or can i do it by right clicking the drive and going to properties > tools > check disk for errors?

if it's ok to do it the preferred way (with windows running) can i use my computer without ruining the scan? (watch vids, download stuff, browse the web)

would be much easier for me that way since doing it in dos or whatever would make my computer unuseable for quite a while

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you can do it the way you suggested. Not sure if it does as deep as a scan but it should work that way.
Either way the system should be left alone while it is running to get the best results.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
[bleep], it's gonna take a long time. the chkdsk i did on the external took like 12 hours i think. i'll do it tonight while i sleep and let you know the results tommorow. thanks very much man

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome.
As painful as it is if it works then the reward is worth a few hours of not using the system.
I would normally tell someone who's system takes that long to run to do it at night anyway since they are not using the system anyway.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
yeah, since i'm gonna be sleeping while i do it i'll do it the dos way so that having windows running doesn't interfere.

i'm sorry all this is dragging out, i know it's a pain for you to deal with but your help is very welcome

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a pain. I'm happy to answer all questions as that is the only way to hopefully help you learn while resolving the issue.

Advertisements

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i didn't do the chkdsk last night because ufc - 110 was on and i had to use my computer to watch it but my external has been unplugged since i did the memtest and there hasn't been any problems. could the external be the problem? or could there be a problem with explorer that's somehow triggered by the external? what should i do now? i ran chkdsk on the external last week and it came back with errors but 'repaired' them

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like the external may be the problem from your description.
Ahhh errors but repaired them.. now that is a sign. You really need to rerun chkdsk /r on the external because it sounds like your culprit may be a corrupted file table or disk consistency issue.
When you ran without the external did you try explorer and did you have any problems?
When you have external hooked up and click on explorer and nothing else just open the wondows explorer window is there a error?
OR does the error only occur when you try to explore the external drive?

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Sounds like the external may be the problem from your description.
Ahhh errors but repaired them.. now that is a sign. You really need to rerun chkdsk /r on the external because it sounds like your culprit may be a corrupted file table or disk consistency issue.
When you ran without the external did you try explorer and did you have any problems?
When you have external hooked up and click on explorer and nothing else just open the wondows explorer window is there a error?
OR does the error only occur when you try to explore the external drive?

yes i tried explorer with the external disconnected and had no problems

when i have the external hooked up trying to explore the external will crash explorer about 8/10 times

when the external hooked up all kinds of explorer related actions can crash explorer (emptying recycle bin, creating restore points while downloading windows updates etc) not just direct contact with the external...however these problems do only seem to happen when the external is connected

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm that is strange for sure.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i could be wrong, no problems have appeared yet, that's all i have to go off really lol. an explorer crash could always be just around the corner lol. but usually by this point explorer would have messed up and caused me to force reboot the computer