Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with my external hard drive...i think

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm wondering how is the external connected..USB, firewire, ESata or parallel?
If USB or SATA have you tried a different connection, cable?
I think the problem is with the errors chkdsk /r found and fixt. A rule of thumb we always follow is if it finds and repairs something then rerun it till it doesn't find any problems with the drive. If it continues to find problems this may be a indication of a failing drive.

Advertisements

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
it's connected by USB, it crossed my mind to use a different cable as i think the charger cable for my PS3 would fit but since i'm a noob i was scared that using the wrong cable might do damage or soemthing lol, but since you say cables can be switched like that i'll try a new cable and see how that goes. and tonight i'll run a chkdsk of the external and keep running it until it reports no errors.

i'll change over the cables and with luck that will solve the problem...hey, a guy can hope can't he? lmao

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep the USB cable should be exchangeable and if not they are not that expensive anymore.
Just a thought have you tried the external on a known good working system to see if the problem follows it there?

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Just a thought have you tried the external on a known good working system to see if the problem follows it there?

i had concidered that but the only other computer in the house is my mums and since i'd likely have to leave the external on there all day it's kinda risky since she might route around on it and there's stuff on there that you wouldn't want your mum to see lmao

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Understandable but you wouldn't have to leave it on all day just try it to see if the problem happens. If not then take it off and we would have to look at a possible motherboard problem.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i hate computers lol, nothing's ever easy

i tried 2 other cables and neither worked, so i put the original cable in and even that wouldn't register. so i put one of the other cables back in and rebooted the comptuer...during shutdown i got the bsod

==================================================
Dump File : 022110-26582-01.dmp
Crash Time : 21/02/2010 17:44:21
Bug Check String : BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000fe
Parameter 1 : 0x00000008
Parameter 2 : 0x00000006
Parameter 3 : 0x00000006
Parameter 4 : 0x87bf3760
Caused By Driver : usbhub.sys
Caused By Address : usbhub.sys+1caed
File Description : Default Hub Driver for USB
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\minidump\022110-26582-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
==================================================

after the computer rebooted (after the bsod) the external now shows up with one of the PS3 cables

also the hard drive may have to be plugged inall day if i test it on my mums computer as i never know when the problems gonna happen, sometimes i can use the hard drive fine all day and then all of a sudden it kills explorer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you ever get the drive space freed up?
How about the sfc /scannow to run?

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i did the sfc test when you first mentioned it and it just quit without any errors, the only thing i've not done so far that you've mentioned is the chkdsk repair and i'm gonna do that tonight

as for the hard drive space it's only limited because of this problem, the problem arose before i used up so much hard drive space, it's just that i have downloaded plenty of things to watch that i normally would put on the external but since i can't they've tied up space on the internal (and i'm starting to run out lol) only got about 25gb left which is only about 10% of the full drive capacity

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

only got about 25gb left which is only about 10% of the full drive capacity

Yeah we need ot get this taken care of before the system shuts down or won't boot at all. Please let me know how the chkdsk goes when it is finished tomorrow morning.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
for now should i do the chkdsk only on the external and keep repeating until it turns up no errors?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
sorry to dissapoint but i've STILL not run the chkdsk lol

the reason for this is when i was about to reboot my computer yesterday in order to run the chkdsk i ran ccleaner and it didn't crash at the "empty recycle bin" even though the external has been connected all day when normally it would crash and i'd have to force reboot.

because of this i decided to do another test and ran a video playlist from the external overnight which usually crashes some point during the night and kills explorer but i woke up this morning and it was still running.

i just installed a windows update and it didn't crash while creating a restore point.

so basically the problem appears to have gone away, it could still happen but it usually would have happened already by this point

the only thing that i've changed is the usb cable which connects the external to my laptop and when i rebooted after changing the cable the windows explorer view of the externals contents changed from a list to a list split into collapseable catagories (which i'm not gonna tempt fate and change back lmao)

so far, so good, i really hope it stays working (if it doesn't i'll post a reply in this thread)

thank you all so much for your help, it's much much appreciated!

please keep your fingers crossed for me that the problem was just with the cable and that it's now over and done with lol

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. Hopefully you have found the problem. One word of advice using ccleaner... Please do not use the registry part as this may cause the system to crash or become unusable again.
Please let us know how everything is working in a day or two. Good luck :) :) :)

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
yeah i used to use the registry cleaner all the time on my old computer but never noticed any differences good or bad, but then i read something the same as the warning you just gave me and i stopped using it. the only time i've used it on this computer was once last week as a desperate attempt to fix this problem lol.

i'll be back to let you know how the system holds up (hopefully i'll be back with good news and not back to ask for more solutions lmao)

thanks again guys :)

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
well problems back, i just tried transferring some of the stuff from internal to external to free up some space and it got about 75% the way through and crashed explorer so i've probably lost all that stuff too, i was so happy about 5 mins ago i swear this endless abuse from my computer just makes me want to cry lol

time to force yet another reboot and try the chkdsk or something, i just wish this [bleep] would end already :)

Edited by Pepper Jack, 22 February 2010 - 11:38 AM.