Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with my external hard drive...i think

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How much data are you trying to move?

Advertisements

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
only about 1.2gb that time but i couldn't even get away with that. i've had enough, i just wish this thing would end i'm sick to death of it. gonna run the chkdsk now and pray that it's not just more wasted time

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I realize it's frustrating but if I can offer a alternate approach to this. A Linux live CD would allow you to copy the data all over to your external without needing the windows explorer or even windows to do it. I'm not sure if we have tried this but i can give you the instructions if you would like to get this completed.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
copying the data doesn't really matter to me, it's the problem in general that i really wanna get solved. copying data is just a secondary problem related to the main one, i can wait to copy the stuff over but i wanna try and get the full problem dealt with asap because i dunno how much more i can take before i just smash up the computer lol

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i just tried the chkdsk /r command and i think it wants to run the chkdsk on the internet hard drive, how do i make it run on the external?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
oK it's just odd that it only happens when the external is hooked to it.
That in itself tells me there is a problem either with USB connection or external itself.
Lets look at the events again and see what is happening.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i tried that before, i think you mentioned it on the first page, when i clicked 'run' it just kinda crashed, just did the same again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) ok then lets use the internal one Vista has already.
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One
• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two
• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i'm using windows 7 but i followed the instructions the best i could, there are a ton of errors, like hundreds of them and i have no idea when the problem started, all i know is it's been going on for about 2 weeks maybe

do you think i should just run the chkdsk /r for now until it comes back with no errors? i have no idea how to select which drive it should check though, i think it's gonna go to the internal one by default

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
or better yet, since i won't be using the external at all would it be ok to run the chkdsk in windows through the properties menu?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't need all the events just the last 2 or 3 and hopefully they will be the same time as the crash.
To run chckdsk on a particular drive you would put chkdsk /d /r
I believe that is the correct format and if D is the external. Put the correct drive letter there if not.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i'm not sure if i'm doing this right but i clicked on applications and i'm gathering info from the closest error to the last crash. i hope i'm giving the correct info here, let me know if it's wrong

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WMI
[ Guid] {1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}
[ EventSourceName] WinMgmt

- EventID 10

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-02-22T17:42:15.000000000Z

EventRecordID 5550

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0
[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer Alex-PC

Security

- EventData

//./root/CIMV2
SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99
0x80041003

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK go ahead and run the chkdsk on the external and lets see what it shows.

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
since i'm not using the external can i run it with windows running? or does it have to be in dos?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I doubt it will run in windows unless you do the error checking from the properties on the hd itself