Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with my external hard drive...i think

• Please log in to reply

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I doubt it will run in windows unless you do the error checking from the properties on the hd itself

yeah that's what i meant, that's what i did last time and it came back with errors but said it fixed them, i can keep doing it until it reports no errors but is it ok to use that method? rather than doing it in dos. that way i can still go online while chkdsk is doing its thing with the external

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
yep ok

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok i'll start the chkdsk now and keep repeating until there are no errors, fingers crossed

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok it just came back with no errors

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK and this is on the external correct?

Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
yes sir

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK here's where we are at this point.
We have tested everything as far as the OS drive,

Memory
Hard Drive
OS
Temperatures
SFC
Chkdsk
Tried running system with the external connected it crashes when accessed.
Tried running the system in windows explorer without external connected and everything worked fine.

Npw Other then a linux live cd to copy files over to see if it works the only option i see at this point is that the external drive enclosure is the culprit.
Lets try Linux and instead of moving files over try to copy some over. Don't take more the 500 megs at a time to copy and see if this works.
Follow the instructions below to download, burn and boot to Puppy Linux. Make sure the external drive is plugged in before you boot to this cd so it will recognize it.

Get Puppy Linux from my signature below...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 February 2010 - 02:44 AM.