Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

SalientAnimal

SalientAnimal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I think I will try the repair install.

I think the install I was refering to the paralelle install where you just install the windows over the current windows. The other option whicch I don't want to do is the format and reinstall as I have almost 2TB of data to backup

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Parallel actually does not install over the top of your existing oS. It installs a second OS that will allow you to move all your data over to the new working OS but you would have to install most of the programs you have again.
Since you have opted for the Repair installation then here we go.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 February 2010 - 10:48 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another set of instructions for the above Repair:

You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

SalientAnimal

SalientAnimal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Followed the repair procedure and once again got a crash today. I'm starting to think that my best chance ata fix is a complete strip of my PC, and reinstalling everything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please run and attach a new Blue Screen View report.

SalientAnimal

SalientAnimal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey Bud, I ran WhoCrashed again and for some reason now the whole report is empty...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please attach a new Blue screen view log.

SalientAnimal

SalientAnimal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey there, been trying to run the crash report using who crashed me, but it doesn't give me any result, should I use another program? It still give me the nv_disp file

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With the error you are getting your video card and\or drivers are bad.
Is your video built on board or is it a add on card?
The Parallel Installation is the next option if purchasing a new video card is out of the question. This only installs a second XP on your system and allows the data to be moved tot hat installation. programs will most likely have to be reinstalled.
The last thing i would ever suggest is a format and fresh install especially with 2 tb of nothing but data you have to backup.

SalientAnimal

SalientAnimal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have noticed something recently an I'm not sure if it could be the cause of the problem but I have a second HD which seems as if it my be a bit faulty as last night it lost connection from the PC. Even if no programs are running from the drive could it possibly be causeing the crash? I'm currently running a scan disk on that drive

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can disconnect the 2nd drive and try it but the errors you are receiving point to the video drivers or the video card itself.

SalientAnimal

SalientAnimal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well I don't want to get too happy too soon, but I took the card back and the place spawed it out for me. Since I've put in the new card I have had a problem yet, but its only day one. Thanks again for all your help I really do appreciate it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is good to hear and I am willing to wait for your results in a couple of days. I am here with you till we figure this out one way or another. It does look like it was the card itself though from what you said.

SalientAnimal

SalientAnimal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey Bud,

Well just wanted to let you now that my blue screen issues seem to have been resolved :-). Thanks so much for all your help.

I have since installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my PC as well, and now I have the problem of a C++ Runtime Error when trying to run *.avi files. I have tried installing different media players and each one of these give me a runtime error. I also tried burning the file to DVD so that I could attempt to play them on my DVD player, but also get a runtime error when trying to burn these files

Not sure if you know of a patch or something that I may need to install?

Edited by SalientAnimal, 25 March 2010 - 03:14 AM.