Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro New user problem

• Please log in to reply

WillyRok

WillyRok

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
I have had my user on my XP Pro SP3 laptop for 6 years. Recently, I created a user for each of my two kids so they could use the laptop for school work. However I found that the new users, when attempting to log in, are immediately logged off. My user continues to work fine.

I believe this is the leftover effect of a past virus which in some way altered the registry settings for the Default User account. (The virus was cleaned up and the laptop is currently virus free, and running a current version of AVG 9 Internet Security which scans regularly)

So I checked the "Run" key in the NTUser.dat reg hive for each of the the new users I created, but there is nothing there.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the other reg hives affect every user on the machine, and since my user works fines, that indicates those hives are not the source of the problem. My questions are, 1: Is there another hive that is unique to each user, and 2: Where else in the "Current_User" hive are any startup items stored that I am unaware of?

Thanks for the help,
Bill

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

WillyRok

WillyRok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the replies. However, my computer does not currently have a virus or malware. This is the lingering after affect of a virus, similar to when a virus disables registry editing or Task Manager and the effect remains after the virus is cleaned up. Just looking for some help in locating the problem.